Low mouthpiece placement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
  2. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Thank you for all of the advice! I will try to not move my embouchure around when I practice today and see how it turns out. You also must not forget that I do not do much "legit" playing and mostly do improvisational and jazz pieces.

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    "today" won´t be anything near the time you need.

"this year" would be more appropriate . . .

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey Sofus,

I don't have the market cornered on the truth. I really do enjoy it when things work for others.

I do have a bit different take: The embouchure is NOT a fixed, static thing. It is infinitely flexible when we practice the things good for us. It migrates to the most efficient position when we have a daily routine worthy of the name. It becomes dependable when we have thousands of repetitions.

My recommendation has been published here many times. It is called the Circle of Breath, is free and works. before I would tell a student how they can lock down the mouthpiece position, I would have them doing advanced lipslurs to build the necessary habits required for a "stable" (not fixed) Embouchure!

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Just so as we know, what would differentiate 'advanced' lipslurs from normal ones? Is it the intervals, or some finesse of technique?

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    That would include intervals and speed. Intervals like octaves, tenths and twelfths, speed like somebody running a mallet over a xylophone.

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I think as well if your embouchure is not too fixed a mistake can be dealt with. I mean who hasn't in the middle of a piece after a rest brought up the mouthpiece and got it slightly away from it's usual spot, if your embouchure is rigidly fixed this can be an issue as you try to reposition while playing if it isn't you can deal with it until you have to breath. VB I like your term stable not fixed

8. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008

Hi, rowuk!

Forgive me for expressing myself with such a lack of precision!
    I realize that what I wrote may sound as if I think that you tell others what to do.
    This is, however, not true at all!
    Instead find l your post and their content being of the highest quality both
    when it comes to physics as well as trumpet exercising.
    I can´t think of any post where I haven´t agreed to what you´ve said
    (there may have been one, but in that case I´ve forgotten . . .)!

What I wanted to say was just that I deliberately have avoided to tell
    anyone how to do things. Instead I have just delivered my personal thoughts . . .

When I say that the mp position is a personal thing and the one working should
    be kept, I do not mean to describe the mp position as something rigid either.

So, as you see, we agree on yet another thing!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey Sofus, there is no problem.

Dviglis, what I understand from your post is that you work hard when playing and are looking for ways to reduce the effort. You read some of the stuff in a thread here and thought "that sounds like me".

Well, maybe it really does and maybe it doesn't. The bad news is everyone must guess unless they have an opportunity to hear you live. The good news is with a bit of luck and lots of listening, you may figure out enough to move on.

My recommendation is to take a day where you don't have any playing and try something: In the morning an easy warmup, long tones, easy lipslurs and then about 30 minutes of real easy tunes in the staff - like from a hymnbook. That is about 40 minutes of easy MEZZOPIANO playing. Then take a couple of hours off. Maybe after lunch take a 15 minute hot shower and after that, play high and loud for about 30 minutes. Take notes about how easy or hard certain things are. Do this on one or two different days and post that playing diary. We'll comment after some facts are on the table.

In addition google the circle of breath and try to use it. Add comments about it to your post.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I like the idea of a sort of playing diary to help teaching, Rowuk, could be very useful.