Low note exercises, and pieces with lots of low notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetfart123, Mar 3, 2014.

1. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi,

Was wondering if anyone might know of any good exercises for developing and playing low notes, and if anyone might recommend and pieces, which feature alot of low notes.

Many thanks

2. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    My problem with low notes is right after playing high notes. They tend to be sharp. I'm not even sure where regular notes end and "low" notes begin. I've always wondered that about the upper register as well. My only advice is play more low notes. :roll:

3. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    ditto, same problem here, is that anything to do with the build up of lactic acid in yer chops, and yer lips swelling....

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Low notes after high notes can be a problem because we relax too much to play them. You still need to maintain tension.

As for pieces containing them, simple. Get out your hymn book, find a hymn that's mid range and play it down an octave. I do the opposite to practice playing above the stave.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    As an extension to this idea, try playing without written music, starting each tune on a random pitch, and playing it through by ear. Learn to hear the intervals ahead of playing them and let yourself sink into rhe resonance of each note (play slowly).

6. uconntrpt

uconntrpt New Friend

Sep 7, 2009
    New London, CT
    I highly recomment Low Note Etudes by Phil Snedecor. The etudes are fun and really work the low range down to low F. I have found these to be very helpful.

7. indigoblue

indigoblue New Friend

Feb 5, 2014
    I know if I have been playing in the high register a lot my low notes will suffer afterwards. They will be weak and fizzle out and I lose flexibility. Try some slurring exercises starting from high to low and low to high. That has helped me along with long tones. I would also give those Low Note Etudes a shot too mentioned above by uconntrpt.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The problem many will have with this, I daresay, is that most will not have their own personal hymn books at home. Such is not my problem, whereas I've many editions from various Protestant denominations and lots of music from other Faiths. In addition to messing with va8 ad vb8, I like to switch concert keys of them. For my voice, I favor the concert key of G Major and not many are written that way.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would venture a guess that after playing in the upper register, too much pressure has been used and blood flow has been at least restricted if not cut off completely. Pedal tones will help with flexibility as well as soft long tones in the low register.

10. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa