Low note trouble

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YTR-2335, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There may be some you're not aware of nearby. I'm sure the folks on this board would be happy to help a fellow traveler.

ML

2. bftrumpet

bftrumpet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami, Florida

In which area do you live? Maybe someone here will know someone nearby to help you?

Ben Fairfield

3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I love Manny’s answer to this question! Learning as a child versus learning as an adult certainly has you coming at the task from completely different directions. Here is a post that I submitted a while ago on the TH site. There is some very interesting information about these learning distinctions that you may enjoy reading.

4. YTR-2335

YTR-2335 New Friend

Mar 25, 2006
    I live in Shreveport Louisiana. I'm sure there are some teachers here somewhere. I'll just have to do some asking around but if you know of any here let me know.

5. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    what ed and manny say. first give it time, its not all going to come at once. Although I've been playing for many years, ~ 2yrs ago with the help of an outstanding teacher i changed my embouchure quite dramatically - it now works. But to start with it was like being a beginner all over again because i knew what I wanted but couldn't make it go because the muscles, habit and coordination necessary weren't there . You need a teacher who can watch you closely and advise you. Low c played 'properly' is not all that easy, you may need to slightly adjust your pivot upwards to bring the lower jaw out in order to let more lip vibrate (especially if you have an overbite, like the majority). this will give a fuller sound and also correct any sharpness. BUT - read what I said earlier - do this with a teacher. What works for me may not work for you.

Good luck