low notes below C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Jan 24, 2012.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Happy with my playing except not happy with the tone of the lower notes B and below, when I'm fresh and warming up they sound good and solid but when playing they get!! soft and loose sounding any suggestions of a cause and a fix would be very helpful.
    I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but searching the forum is proving a problem for me, can never find things, maybe tech incompetence.

2. RayMott

RayMott New Friend

May 20, 2011
    London, England
    I assume you refer to the notes below middle C? Personally, I have found the Claude Gordon Systematic approach very helpful, the Carmine Caruso Musical Calsithenics for brass is also good. As your lower register improves (although it sounds counter intuitive) your upper register will improve.

When the bottom end starts to improve & you start getting into the pedal register (below 3 ledger line F#), be careful not to over do it - ie don't do a load of pedals practice and neglect the rest of your range or you will have great pedals (not often used in playing situations, but good for chops in moderation) but may damage the middle register.

3. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    those are the notes, will have a look at what you suggested but am still pretty new to the trumpet, working tho the arban slowly atm, thanks for the reply.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Oldgit,

I think it's interesting how everyone is different in regards to ease of playing in certain areas. My trouble places are reading and breathing. No big deal.:roll:

But, I've always had that bottom end, right from the first weeks of trumpeting. You could try some very relaxed lip slurring (in the different finger positions) between the bottom note and the first partial above it. The trick is to get them to sound the same in tone as you go back and forth. I've always felt that that first slur, betwen the lowest note in any finger position, and the next one up, is the hardest to do.

And, I agree with the post above ... pedal tones help, but in moderation. Always remember to reset your embouchure after doing some pedals, for the regular range of the trumpet.

Turtle

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I have also found that careful breath support with a little less air will help the tone in the lower range (below middle c)

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and, I have always found that loads of air -- and using that LOTS OF AIR, without forcing it out of your mouth --- I guess we could call this loads of "easy air, or lazy air" --because it takes me lots of air to produce good sounding notes below the C under the staff.
    Yes -- oldgit --- you get many different opinions, and takes on what people do to get notes --- in that you will have to find your way of doing it ---- I also find the slurring down helps, and as with all things -- LEAPS help with flexibility. take a 2nd line G (in the staff) and go to F, and then E, etc. G to F, G to E, G to D,,,, and so on down the scale --- try not to change your embouchure, but use breath support as Edfitz suggest, and try to find your own technique.

oh, did I mention -- 1,000's of repetitions and lots of practice????? be patient oldgit -- if it was easy -- then everyone would play a trumpet ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I also had the same problem. As I continued to play, my chops would get stiff, and my lower notes were harder to play.

I'm not sure the best way to deal with this, but here's what I did. When practicing, I would end every exercise with a low note (a note between F# and C below the staff). I would play the low note without changing my embouchure.

Mike

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Still can't get it to play, just disappears when I click on it... :-(

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    For all of you having problems I can help you. I hear what you struggle with and I've helped many students with the same problems they are not hard to fix.

For the OP, need to know more details. How long have you been play the horn? How much do you play everyday. Could be a lack of consistent playing or could be something you're doing wrong below low C. Low C on the trumpet is the C right below the staff. That's what we call it on the trumpet. We don't use piano lingo/terminology. All you players with problems in the lower register,It doesn't have to be that way.

10. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Ive been playing for just over a year, and have never played before that, i play an olds special with a bach 1.5B megatone mouthpiece, I play almost every day, miss one day on the weekend, most days twice a day 20/30 mins, hope that helps.