low notes below C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Jan 24, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When you play trumpet you need to rest as much as you play... play 8 measures..rest 8 measures ... easier said than done but once you get into that routine it becomes easier.
    I practice intervals which should be page 125 on your Arbans.... but if you have only been playing for a year then it may be a little difficult.
    Tonguing exercises in the lower register will help.
    along with the other great advice given here.
    keep us posted

2. thatsmagic83

thatsmagic83 New Friend

Dec 6, 2011
    You could try throwing in a practice mute, and blast through some low tones or hit the Claude gordon book daily like RayMott suggested.

Don't lose the faith! Kingtrumpet is right about being patient!

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Getting a trumpet teacher is probably the best advice I can offer to you right now. But, make sure you are taking a big breath before you play, and your chops are relaxed. Also, make sure you aren't drastically changing your embouchure when you play the lower register.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yep.. pretty important

5. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Thanks for the advice so far, have been working away slowly and already a bit of progress, would love to get a teacher but sadly no funds for that so will plug away, i don't have the desire to be the best trumpet player in the world but really enjoy my little victories on the way to getting better.
    thanks again. will keep you posted on my progress.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Have been working though that arban page 125! and yes your right its a bit hard for me but 8 measures play and 8 measures rest is working great. Think my practice sessions have been lacking in the rest area. Although i cannot active all the exercises i just stop when i either top out or bottom out, rest and go back one exercise, i assume thats ok?