Low Notes. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adena422, Dec 22, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    but you should still keep the corners firm -- just like the high register --- or maybe that is my own concept, in that if you don't make drastic changes in your embouchure when changing octaves, then it is far easier to use your air and change all of those octaves on the fly ------- of course, you still need the vibrating mass in your aperture to be free to move ----uhm, yeah, just like the higher register, the lips have to vibrate --------------------HEY, did I just make this all about AIR??? high speed air in the upper register, vs, slow fat lazy air in the low register!!!! ------------------------- yeah, I did!!

2. Zach

Zach New Friend

Aug 23, 2012
    I can play a pedal tone c. The secret to full, fat, warm low notes is simply using very low mouthpiece pressure, full deep breaths, an open throat (see videos on lifting the soft palate), and air support. Low notes are impossible with high mouthpiece pressure, which I'm sure you've discovered. It's quite simple really. For example, playing a g major scale 2 octaves- I start with very little pressure, and as I peak, I add a tiny bit of pressure to get the high last 2 or 3 notes out, then back off the pressure again descending. Pressure can be your friend if used correctly- (try for least amount of pressure possible in all situations, but no doubt in an increase in pressure helps for high notes) but pressure simply cuts off the potential for low notes to even come out. Also try relaxing your embouchure as well as low pressure on the mouthpiece. You still want to keep your corners firm, but not tight, but try relaxing slightly with your embouchure. Let it become a bit sloppy. Low notes are supposed to feel very comfortable. So make a very comfy embouchure and see if that works.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Best thing - get yourself a TEACHER.

4. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    I have had "issues" in the past with low notes as well. The Claude Gordon practice method with pedal tones has been amazing for me in this area. The first thing I play when I take my horn out of the case is long tones, from low C down to #F, then on down to pedal C and lower if possible. This requires a lot of control, air, and buzzing of the lips. This exercise has succeeded in "resetting" my embouchure, helping me with my breath control, and with my tone in the high register! Using the syllable "ahh" as you player lower notes helps as well, paying close attention to the placement of the back of the tongue. Although my upper register has not increased as of yet, these exercises has helped with my comfort level in the range I do have. Hope this information helps and good luck.

5. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Everything that's already been said above, plus :-

Ease the mouthpiece pressure off, and while blowing at the same time roll the centre of the lips forward (almost like a kiss (wait for the puns))and form an "O" with the air passsing through. this will train you to form the lower register without re-setting your embouchure completely as you change from high to low register.

Let us know how you get on with the various suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A change to a smaller mouthpiece didn't accompany the focus on upper register playing, did it? That can really mess up low note playing, too. But...I agree with what most have said in that beating your embouchure up trying to stretch your upper range will usually decrease your lower range.

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Devote 1 hr a day to practice. After 15 mins, rest for 7 or 10 min. Do that 4 times. Hour is up. That hour will give you 30 mins+- of face time.

Practice Clarke's 1st Technical Study, page 1 each day. Might take 10 mins +-. Play softly and relaxed.

That leaves you 3 blocks of practice time: 1) Band literature, 2) Arban's tonguing exercises, finally 3) etude/solo pieces.

Whole thing takes 1 hr, with you resting somewhere between 15 and 30 mins during equal intervals.

If you've not tackled Clarke 1, I bet you'll like it. Easy to play slowly and softly. Easy to make rapid progress. And is a challenge to work it up to a smooth, musical lightening speed.

Good Luck!

If you be a go getter, you can install 2 practice sessions or 1.5 sessions a day: 1 prior and 1 after school.

Warning: play rest play rest works.

Play, play, play, play until air is the only thing that can be produced is worse than bad.

It causes us to take backward steps instead of moving forward in a methodical manner.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sorry Zach, I don't believe you can play a pedal C. That's the second space of the bass clef. I wouldn't even try on a Bb trumpet as I know of no music composed for the Bb trumpet that low. "Piece of cake" with my euphonium.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The 6th graders I'm presently tutoring are on a regimen of 20 minutes "lip time" (as I call it) playing, followed by 20 minutes rest during which time I discuss what were doing and/or demonstrate, and conclude their hour with 20 more minutes of "lip time". True as we move from exercise to exercise they sneak in small additional rest periods.

10. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Um, beg to differ...... I play the Bb a 9th below that every warmup. All Calude Gordon exercizes include that perdal tone.
    Is it uslable in a musical context? Not the way I play it, but you should hear Arturo use it... :)