Low notes too easy.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    The mouthpiece that came with my Chineese horn says it ts a 7C. I have never had a horn/mouthpiece combination that favors the low register as does this one. Low A is very natural and pure for these old lips whereas my former trumpet (60 years ago) could not begin to reproduce this note.
    Would it be the horn or the mouthpiece? Or could it just be that I haven't limbered up the lips as yet?:dontknow:

2. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I'm almost certain that it's not the horn or the mouthpiece.
    I've seen flip floppy ranges everywhere with people
    I can't do a petal tone, but my range is high
    My friend excells in pedals but his range is not as high as mine

Rowuk will have a better answer
    but I do not believe it to be the piece

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bruce,
    let's just call it synergy for now. Your chops are not in such a predicable condition yet, so we can't even guess. I am VERY careful about talking about horns that I haven't played. I have had some very nice sounding horns with miserable intonation, excellent intonation with miserable sound, real players that are construction desasters and so on.

The only advice that seems to be universal for CHEAP chinese horns would be to really pay attention to keeping the valves properly oiled. Of course that applies to all instruments, it just seems that the cheapest instruments punish the lazy player earlier.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Bruce - if I may add to this very good advice .... IMHO properly oiled means properly cleaned first, and often when the instrument is young like yours.;-)

5. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    OK, it's a new instrument. There was no oil on the valves when I got it. I have been oiling them daily since then. How do I clean the valves and the bores? Do I lube the felts and the upper shafts just below the buttons????
    Bruce in the Peg

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    No, just wipe the piston with a rag, and the inside of the tubes too if you have something that'll get in there.
    Then put some oil on the piston, and put it in the tube, and work it a bit so it'll spread around.
    Make sure the valve guide lines up right ;)

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land