Low notes.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by slixk, Jun 15, 2006.

1. slixk

slixk New Friend

Jan 13, 2006
    Singapore
    Manny,
    I've been around here for some time, just not posting. I'm currently studying music at collage. My teacher for 1 year has left Singapore and returned to the US. Today I had my 1st lesson with the new teacher. He said that I play too openly. I need to close my embouchure more in the lower register. But my previous teacher always taught me to be as relax as possible and play as open as possible. Help!
    Edric .

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Edric,

I have no way to help you specifically without hearing you play.

I can say that the sound of the lower register must be focused and clear. You can be very relaxed and still produce a focused sound.

ML

3. slixk

slixk New Friend

Jan 13, 2006
    Singapore
    Wow! That was fast!
    I think I need to just think of a nice tone and sing through the horn and worry less about this stuff.
    Thank! :)

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Vulgano Brothers love playing low notes, and as well as being able to “sing†them we must sometimes be able to bark, and to play them real, real loudly, especially in orchestras. To achieve this, puffing the cheeks and tonguing between the teeth are allowed, so long as it serves the music. Try watching a tubist playing in the contra register –ugliness, ugliness!