Low pitch to high pitch .... why?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Does anyone know why concert pitch was changed to 440?

Turtle

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
  3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, but why did they pick 440?

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's easier to say. It just rolls off the tongue (at least in English). Only 3 syllables vs 4!

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The reason I ask is that I got into a long conversation last night around a growing conspiracy theory that includes disharmonic frequencies and cites Hitler as the culprit behind the change to 440. I'm a conspiracty theory fan ..... I don't believe any of them, but they're fun to listen to.

So ......... apparently there are a lot of musicians who are unhappy with 440, which they are claiming is not based on naturally occurring frequencies in nature (not sure what those are), leading to discordant, unharmonious music that isn't as good for us as if it was at 432 (close to Mozart's preferred pitch). There is even computer software that will convert recordings from 440 to 432 (that wouldn't be difficult), so that you can convert music back to "where it should have been." I heard a "low pitch" version of "Yesterday" by the Beatles, and I could hear the difference. I'm sure it's only because I know the song so well .... I don't have perfect pitch. The real test, I guess, is to convert everything you listen to (except live or the radio) and live with that for a while and see how it makes you feel. :dontknow:

The suggestion was made for me to try it for a while, with guitar and singing, to see if it isn't a lot easier to sing at this lower pitch. I'm game.

Turtle

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    "The recent rediscoveries of the vibratory/oscillatory nature of the universe indicates that current contemporary A=440hz international concert pitch standard may possibly generate an unhealthy effect or anti-social behavior in the consciousness of human beings."

From a website that promotes changing concert pitch back to 432.

Another website:

"By retuning musical instruments and using Concert Pitch at A=432 hz, you can feel the difference of awareness…If we look at the 20th century and the use of 440 hz – 460hz as mind control in mass media pushed through the “British Invasion” of Rock & Roll in the 50s & 60s we see the dangers of using higher and higher pitches as central references for music in the collective consciousness of social behavior.

This information was well known over a hundred years ago and Rudolf Steiner warned mankind that using such “luciferic” and “Arhimanic” bright tones would bring a condensing of the greed satanic forces in the west instead of C=128 hz A=432 hz which he mentioned was related to sun Christ conscious awareness in the evolution of man. Unfortunately most western music, including popular new age healing music is still tuned at unnatural A=440 hz tuning. The difference between A=440 hz and A=432 hz is only 8 vibrations per second, but it is a perceptible difference in the experience of unique conscious awareness."

Another:

"Music is the healing force of the universe, but not at 440 hz."

This stuff is all over the internet.:lol:

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So is this suggesting that 440 will pitch a fit?

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    YES! You got it, G-Man. You're in the club.

That explains my ex's behavior (a violinist). She's pitched too high.

Trumpets won't go down to 432 anymore ......... :)-()........ except for those of us who have a horn from the 20's (1924 Martin Handcraft). I guess it's adios Olds Recording ..... a satanically pitched trumpet.:-?

Turtle

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Yes, it's a large conspiracy : the gaggle of Canadian geese has been measured at 440 Hz !