Low pitch to high pitch .... why?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Does the guy with the Hitler conspiracy theory pitch to the right or the left? He's definitely off plumb. And he misquoted Steiner. But let's not hertz him too much. Here's a good one: if you take the rotation of the earth around the sun as a vibration rate, then multiply it up to vibrations per second, you get C. Take that Richard Strauss

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Just to confuse things further ...... There is a movement (social not bowel) to put the so-called standard concert pitch back to 432. Seems like a good idea ...... it would take a lot of pressure off singers ..... That's down (from 440) about a third of a half a step, significantly increasing Karaoke singers' chances of hitting high notes by ............... a certain percent, I'm not good in math.

My only problem with this movement is that in all the literature presented in this thread, and that's a lot, nowhere is it mentioned that it ever was at 432 (as a standard). So .... How can it go BACK to being that standard??? :dontknow:

Turtle

3. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I had a buddy in the Army band in D.C. who always spoke of the bands' sharp oboist giving what he called the "beltway A ... 495".

(Interstate 495 is a highway that goes around Wash. DC, for all you non-northeastern US folks.)

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And I-95 takes you South away from that DC swamp, but that would be hardly more than a primeval grunt musically I suppose. (DC was indeed built on a swamp), likewise the Pentagon and Reagan National Airport in Northern VA.)

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

An Ambassador and a pork chop lunch at the Embassy? :think:

Turtle

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Classical pitch ....... A - 422 hz ...... oh, yeah, that's the one. Bach, Beethoven and Mozart all wrote in that pitch. How's that for a "committee"? If all those three heavyweights are in agreement on that one .......... How could you go wrong???? :dontknow:

Turtle

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    No surprise that A is a matter of debate in DC. All those inside the beltway folks have to stay sharp, matter of survival...

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    There may have been lower pitch standards hundreds of years ago, but when we talk about "high-pitch horns" and "low-pitch horns" in relation to brasses from the early 20th century, "low pitch" is A440 -- what we use today. "High-pitch" brasses were built to A454.

Just sayin' -- if you want to play in modern groups, avoid high-pitch horns.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bagpipes are not musical instruments. They are weapons of mass destruction. That is why I haven't gotten into that.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oh so true - certainly the English thought they were weapons of war.