Low pitch to high pitch .... why?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My voice range is now a split tenor - baritone and I transpose most music I now sing to the key of G and have little problem.

Find me a trumpet that I can afford pitched to A=432 and I might buy it, but only if I could find 10,000 songs to play with it. I don't figure there would be that many songs composed as such within in the next 25 years before I now expect to die.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Ed, couldn't a modern trumpet be tuned down to 432, just by pulling out the tuning slide far enough? If it can be tuned up to 446, why not down to 432?

Leading to my next question: Hypothetically, what would happen in a European orchestra if a singer came in (with enough clout), wanting the orchestra to tune to A=432? What instruments would have the most difficulty or even would not be able to accomplish it?

And, changing the starting point of an A not only changes everything else around it, but creates NEW notes that are not being played, at new vibrations ... so it's completely different, not just a slight adjustment "high pitch" or "low pitch" er.:-?

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know if a trumpet would be fully chromatic with just a tuning slide extended. I'd defer to Zig, Charlie, or Ivan to answer this. Still I'd need 10,000 songs that I'd like to play as based on a A=432 pitch.

Ain't going to worry about a European singer. In my experience at the conductor's podium I've had enough problem getting all instruments in tune at A=440 and personally don't find the rational to need otherwise within the time I've left in life. What music as may exist composed with A=432 isn't presently in my repertoire for the brass I have. Methinks, you'll just have to acquire the instruments you want, and the music, as I'm just not going to. I'll stay with A=440. Don't sing much that often now either.

Leading to my next question: Hypothetically, what would happen in a European orchestra if a singer came in (with enough clout), wanting the orchestra to tune to A=432? What instruments would have the most difficulty or even would not be able to accomplish it?

And, changing the starting point of an A not only changes everything else around it, but creates NEW notes that are not being played, at new vibrations ... so it's completely different, not just a slight adjustment "high pitch" or "low pitch" er.:-?

Turtle[/QUOTE]

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That must be why 3 of the 4 songs we played at a recent Easter Service with the choir had two in 5 flats, and one piece in 6 sharps... the other was kind... only 4 sharps. Man I hate the human voice... And the tune I hate hearing most is my wife's saying... you going out with the band to rehearse again? That tune is in 12 flats...

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Voices are sooooo much nicer when they stick to designated song lyrics. :lol:

But, gee, man, it's not about transposing. It's about the frequency of the designated A note. Totally different issues.

What I'm talking about ...... the hidden slots in the human voice ..... (that has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?) ..... they are there and they DON'T LIKE 440. Why would they? They weren't manufactured that way. They're on other frequencies ..... 432 being a beauty. Singers should try this. If you usually sing with a piano, try a keyboard that can be bought down to 432.

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    GM, I'm sure you know that 12 flats is NOT music, whereas music only has a max of 7 flats.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    [/QUOTE]

ANY song can be played at A=432, if the orchestra (or the rest of the band) agrees to it.

Turtle

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I hear ya man... and you are preaching to the choir!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Damn straight... they were singing so flat we had to play it in their relative key.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If all the piano A s were tuned to 432 Hz, what Hz would each of the other 80 keys be tuned to as to remain chromatic?