Low pitch to high pitch .... why?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually with the historical performing practices, many orchestras are experimenting with alternate pitches - but NEVER with the same instruments. The lower pitch normally comes with gut strings and period instruments or copies. A violinist playing at 415 has as much trouble as we do playing a natural trumpet. The woodwinds cannot be tuned over great differences. The holes have to be aligned for the frequencies and 415 means a lot wider spacing.

So, even if the heavyweight comes in, no 432 unless the orchestra has instruments for that pitch and the rehearsal time to fine tune the ears of all involved in the project. What you guys are incorrectly assuming is that all of those lower pitches were originally "well-tempered". A lot of other things happen in ensembles that play at lower pitches. Sometimes we play scales and chords to get fine tune the mean tone ears.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    My niece wants to record her album at 432 as both her and her singing partner have tried it for weeks at a time and they both enjoy singing there. There's no problem, until we get to a song that includes their Harmonium. They've already looked into having it tuned down from 440 to 432, but the cost is excessive, as the guy would have to alter all of the reeds. So ..... What we'll have to do, on songs that include the Harmonium, is tune back up to 440, and record the song there, and then pitch it down electronically, so it matches the rest of the album.

Turtle

3. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hey Chaps,

Where does air pressure and temperature fit into this?

What happens on top of Mount Everest +29000ft (-60deg C),apart from lip sticking to mouthpiece?
    What happens below sea level -1400 ft (+50 deg C) around Dead Sea area ?

Whose played at these extremes?

Cheers

PaulD

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've never had to cope with extremes like that, Paul.:dontknow:
    don't think I'd want to either. Interesting question though. What would it do to tuning?:oops:

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, at Mt. Everest, I would recommend a Kelly Bach 1 clone to thicken up the sound (and keep your lips unfrozen). At the Dead Sea, A Kelly "screamer" should do the trick! :roll:

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hahaha .... Gives a new meaning to high and low pitch.

I'm getting the strong impression that people don't really care where the pitch of A is .... unless it effects their playing somehow. People want to play where their instruments sound good and are easy to use. For most instruments, it's not really much of a consideration.

But for singers ... it's a whole different ballgame. We went over to my cousin's recording studio to talk about recording and he had only just heard about this "432" pitch that is gaining so much momentum among singers, the day before. A friend, who is a singer, told him about it and how it had "changed her life". She was moving somewhere to go pursue this new direction for herself. There is undeniably something big going on here for singers.

However, as we know, singers don't hold a lot of clout in the organized music world, and they'll never get what they want or need. Symphony orchestras don't really care at all about singers, nor do most big bands. Singers who want to do something good for themselves are going to have to do it on their own ..... Obviously, they'll get no help from the music world, and the standard pitch won't change for them. :dontknow:

Turtle

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree, singers need ALL the help they can get!! ROFL Singers don't hold clout? Hmm, not in my genre. The sound guy will drown out the band "for" the singer's sake. If it would help with their pitch, 432 here we come (of course if they have a tin ear, 432 won't help)!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hahaha ..... If the singer has a tin ear at 440, it's not going to be any better at any other pitch, including 432.

Tobylou, you've made my point about singers not getting any respect. As for this whole issue of a "standard" concert pitch, imagine what a nightmare all this switching around of frequencies would be for somebody who had perfect pitch? :shock:

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It "hurts" my ears! :D

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:ROFL

R2TL8, you crack me up.