Low pitch to high pitch .... why?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Whatever pitch that will keep those freakin reed players in tune…..I’M all for, there such a pain : ) 440, 441......whatever it takes !!

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    "I like dreamin', cuz dreamin' can make you playintune. I like dreamin', closing my eyes and your playings fine" ROFLROFLROFLROFL

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I, for one, am tired of 440. I'm rejecting it out of hand for the rest of the year.

There's a new standard in town. Standard Turtle Pitch.:-)

A=432

I only have one small issue .... I want to put together a blues band for local gigging and they'll have to play at 432. Bass, no problem ... he'll probably like it "more lower thump" or something like that. Drums .... :dontknow: .... They do what they're told.

Here's the issue. I wanted a harmonica player, who sings, and could be the "official" front man, to round out a 4-person band (small, so we can make some money) ..... I'll play electric guitar and sing. Great harmonica players are around this area, but who's going to have a harmonica pitched at 432? We may have to have one made or altered.

I'll check out the community band .... but if they're aren't on STP (standard turtle pitch), they'll have to get along without me.

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    432 Turtle ..... living up to your name eh? 432 ..... t h a t ' s S L O W.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hahaha .... It's not actually slow, it's LOW. Low can seem like slow I know. :lol:

Turtle

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thatsh right make fun of a blokes shpeach impediment.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Someone beat you to it. I sit next to a guy in one band who plays about that flat all the time...

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Not the first time ... when you're a turtle, you get used to it.

We had a meeting at my cousin's recording studio and my niece sang a few of their original songs that might go on the album. My cousin played his Shakuhachi flute with one of the songs ..... totally in tune when she was tuned down to 432. Since I know his flutes are all tuned, one's in D, another A .... etc., and there are no intonation adjustments, these are wooden flutes. I couldn't figure out how he could make that work, so I asked him after the song.

He said it was really easy ..... These flutes are very easy to play flat, it's getting them up to proper pitch that's so difficult. :lol:

Turtle

9. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    So why was it changed?
    Or was it never really set before and the beurocrats being what they are felt the need to standardise it?

I have an old trumpet from 1931 and it always sounded out of tune, (after i realised what "in tune" should sound like) does this mean that it is tuned to 432?

Im fascinated by this.

10. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    If your old trumpet wasn't built to A440, it was built to an even higher pitch standard -- A452. Whether A432 is an intrinsically "better" pitch standard or not, it had been long abandoned by band-instrument makers by the early 20th century. By that time instruments were either made in "low pitch" (A440), made in "high pitch" (A452), came with different sets of slides for the different pitch standards, or they had low-pitch lines scribed on the slides indicating how far out to pull the high-pitch slides to tune a brass instrument to low pitch.