Low register Double tongueing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Jul 11, 2011.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    My question is: How to you guys work on getting a clear smooth low register double tongue. I seems to me when I descend I have trouble getting the notes E-D-C-ect. to speak enough as well as ascending.

-Cobragamer

2. trumpetrmb

trumpetrmb New Friend

Jun 15, 2011
    Portsmouth, England
    I find that i use 'hot air' when i'm low or quiet tongueing. Just sat here now figuring out what i do. By slowing down my airflow i'm my notes are coming out more clear and crisp. Hope that helps!!

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Practice, practice, practice.

I'm a big fan of Clarke #2. Play it softly double-tongued.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I find it that aiming more for a D-G than for the T-K sound endorsed by Arban helps me.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    "Hot air?" Right.

There is no trick to double tonguing in the low register except that you need to practice it and work on it. If you want to be able to do it, the do it. Try this - for 10 minutes a day, every day, do nothing but work on your double tonguing, and do this for two weeks.. Don't use exercises out of a book, just start doing it - double tongue up and down scale patterns or whatever you want, but make sure you work on double tonguing down low.

Another way to do it would be to start on G in the staff, and gradually work your way down chromatically, one half step at a time. If you systematically work on the things that are difficult for you, you will improve them - the "trick" is in listening to what your chops and tongue are telling you, and making fine adjustments to dial it in.

6. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    don't stop or slow your stream of air as you descend. you don't have to make it loud, but don't give up the direction of your phrase or stream. think of it like you're "driving" your tonguing into the descent.

(hope that makes sense)

7. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Try slowing down your double tounging in the lower register. Really focus on the sound and quality of the notes you are playing. You will build up the strength and technique required for faster playing.

8. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Warm air - I always use it. Rod Franks states: Warm air=Warm tone/sound.
    If you get a deep breath, you get that warm air. If your breath is shallow - you don't. However, this has little to do with double tonguing, except that if your tonguing is blocking your breathing then you're in trouble. :whistle:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Warm air?? Isn't it all 98.6° when you expell it??

I do clarke #2 exercised but play two notes on each tone instead of 1 and double tongue them... in all the keys. The lower ones may be harder because of mushy embouchure support. Some folks drop the bottom out of their chops for low notes and do not focus on getting a firm center on the tone with good corner & air support. Play the low C with the same air support you would use for a High C.

You need a solid setup to hammer against when TKTK'ing below the staff. Once you get the coordination of tonguing down you have to drive the air through the tongue into the horn. It is easy to close up the air and only thing of the tongue. When you are driving the air the tonguing can go on auto-pilot

Al Hirt's Green Hornet is a fun tonguing exercise and covers a couple registers...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Not exactly.
    1. Get a mirror. Breath in shallow (with your chest), then blow out in the mirror.
    2. Get a deep breath, using your diaphragm, blow again in the mirror. You'll see the difference yourself. I haven't measured the temperature, but if you have the necessary machinery, do the measurement and let us all know.

Notice that I say deep, not big.