Low register Double tongueing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Jul 11, 2011.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    maybe.... but isn't that moisture rather than temp??

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I give up and let the resident engineers figure it out.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes. The whole "warm air" thing is more of a mental imagery thing than an actual physical temperature thing. But hey - whatever floats someone's boat and works for them is ok by me - I use my own mental imagery things, such as mentally thinking about the core of my sound boring a hole through the opposite wall when I'm doing long tones is something that helps me, but I digress.

Aside from that, one of the reasons I like articulation exercises, particularly double and triple tonguing, is that they assist a player to develop and maintain proper air utilization - you just can't get good, clean, crisp articulation if you aren't using your air well. To add to that, I submit that if a player focuses their efforts on systematic, disciplined practice of the core fundamentals, it can do wonders for their overall ability as a player, and sometimes a player has to make sure they get quantity of practice before the quality starts to develop.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    That makes more sense, the point is to remember to drive air over the tongue and "Blow Through" (as an old teach of mine used to say, but when he said it it came out as "Bro Froo"!)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The reason that the low register is tougher is because your lips are not "relaxed" enough (means that you play with pressure to seal the mouthpiece/lips instead of a well formed embouchure). With the right "pucker" (well, more like an M-bouchure), your chops are freer and can respond more quickly.

To get "loose", practice double tonguing OCTAVES C-c, B-b, Bb-bb, A-a, Ab-ab, G-g, F#-f#. At first slowly, then increase speed as possible.

This is the fastest way that I know of. One you are "loose", triple tonguing is also much easier.

Good luck.

6. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Rowak has the key. Ever since I started focusing on reduced mp pressure my lower register articulation has improved dramatically.

I play in a band that at some gigs does the Chicken Dance. (Dont' make fun - the crowd loves it and it's FUN!) Our other trumpet player could not double toungue with any accuracy below third space C. After the second round he had to replace the 16th notes with 8ths just to get through. He also tends to crush his lips on the high notes.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    We flatly refuse to do the Chicken Dance. I suppose we could muster it if it meant the difference between being paid and not being paid, but otherwise, it's such a low class piece of trash music when it's compared to any of the other 700+ tunes in our book (Even compared to the "She's Too Fat" polka - which we do play on occasion) that it's just not something we'll play. But I suppose if we were in Wichita.... :-P ROFL

Sorry - couldn't resist. :D

I agree - it does seem to be a crowd pleaser, but for the weddings we play, as often as not it comes up on the "DO NOT PLAY!" list.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    tobylou8 likes this.
  9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    We can blow both warm and cold air.

To cool off hot soup you blow cool air - from deep down, though a fairly tight aperture.

To fog your glasses you blow warm air - by saying a whispered hah, with your mouth wide open.

Do this to the palm of your hand and you can tell the difference in temperature.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I appreciate what you are saying, but I still think that air we exhale is all the same temperature.

It cools the soup because the soup is 175° and you are "cooling it" with 98.6° air.

The glasses fog up because you are expelling MOIST air... and probably onto something that is at room temperature (78-80°), so you are blowing 15-20° warmer air onto them.

Your body cannot heat air up any hotter than your core body temperature. Depending on how deeply you breathe you CAN blow moister air, but not warmer. Maybe the moister air holds the body temp a pinch longer than drier shallow air that never quite gets deep into the lungs.

Are there any Pulmonary Doctors out there that play trumpet and can give us real data???