Low register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by timothypierson, Jun 23, 2005.

1. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    Manny, I've recently gone through an embouchure change, from playing lower on my lip and to the right to playing higher on my lip and slightly to the left but much more centered. The change has helped me become more efficient. before I had to basically "screw on" the mouthpiece to play and now my lips might do a split second twitch but thats about it and thats even going away.

My middle and upper range up to E or F above high C is pretty solid but I've noticed that I've been having trouble starting pitches in the lower register (low C) and below. To alleviate this I'm doing Clarke studies 1, 2 and 5 and doing Iron's 6 and 7 slowly making sure that my embouchure stays in the relatively same position and letting the tongue dictate the lower range. I am also just working on long tones in the lower register and pedal tones to get a good sound. Is there anything else I should work on to fix this? I know part of it is getting used to a more efficient embouchure but I figured I'm probably missing something. I know in the end this will pay off and I already have a much sweeter middle register sound.

Thank You,

Tim Pierson

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Let's do this one step at a time:

Write back to me with at least three adjectives that describe a superior low note sound. Make them as personal as you like. It's up to me to understand you, so be as eclectic as you like.

Later,

ML

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I know my three!! PHAT, dark with diamonds, and SMOOTH... yeah baby.

4. timothypierson

Feb 20, 2005
    Low notes need to be dark, solid , with a big sound even if it is soft as if you can sit on the notes. Right now mine are kind of flat.

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, Tim...

Now, indulge me a bit and describe with meaningful adjectives the sound of the best high register you can imagine.

ML

6. timothypierson

Feb 20, 2005
    The High register should be warm full, in tune but shouldn't be overpowering. It should also sound controlled and easy to play.

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, I have your problem worked out:

My suspicion is that the way you use your air is likely very static from the ay you describe sound. I mean that the initiation of vibration is dictated by process not results. This is very common. I was looking to see how you conceptualize the extreme registers and I don't hear anything that gives me a character of sound that has to do with energetic vibration.

I heard what it shouldn't be but not enough descriptions of vibrancy, energy, core, buzz, etc.

My guess is that you are over-opening your basic embouchure set up when you go into the low register and getting a non-vibrating, foggy quality instead of that electric current centered sound that is so important. You need to play in the absolute center of the note even if it may sound out of tune at first. Once you get the center you can focus on the use of slides to help get it tune.

The same goes for the upper register. Core, core, core. Play with a tuner down low or better yet, an in-tune piano and see where you are and listen to the sound. There needs to be a great center to each sound you play, a great ring to the sound not a veiled quality and indistinction. Clarity, core, color.

Practice chromatic scales and listen for the center of each note. Do you sound like a flugelhorn down low or a trumpet?

ML

8. timothypierson

Feb 20, 2005
    Thanks Manny, You hit the nail on the head, I was dropping my jaw to reach the lower register almost forcing things to happen. When I focus on the center of the pitch and let the lips buzz it has a much more centered and vibrant sound. Not a lot of volume but it is coming. Now that I've been playing again for a year now (after 6 years off), I'm working on becoming a more efficient player and really focussing on the sound I'm producing. I'm also starting college again this fall Majoring in Music Ed and Performance. This forum has really helped me understand the fundimentals of playing and in conceptualizing my sound.