low register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny,

I have an impossible time making anything from a low Aflat to low f# get louder and more resonant than a mp. I tank up air and I blow blow blow but it just doesn't want to play. My A's on up are fine but the lower I go the wierder it gets. Any help?

Jeremy Tarter

P.S. I "got" your number from Phil Norris so that I could see if you were free sometime in January to get a lesson with you. I called the number and got the voicemail. The man talking said it was Manny Laureano but sounded nothing like you and had an intense low spanish sounding voice. I was like dude! What's up with Manny? So anyway, I figured it wasn't you, but whoever it was has some idiot named Jeremy asking him for some sort of lesson on is voicemail! haha

2. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Jeremy,

I know that Manny hasn’t responded yet, but I thought you might be interested in the experience that I have had with the James Thompson Buzzing Basics exercises and how this book relates to your question. When you mention that you “tank up with air and blow blow blowâ€, it sounds to me like you are trying to control the dynamic with more aggressive exhalation. I had this same experience, and it’s a dead end path.

James Thompson mentions that there is a break around a 1st space E, and that the secret to playing below that E is to stretch the feel of the notes above that E down into the lower register without altering your embouchure. He targets this register by starting on a 2nd line G and glissandoing down to a low C. For this to be most effective, though, you don’t “blow†more aggressively as you move into the lower register. You simply “tank upâ€, begin at a gentle dynamic with a breath attack, and then “let†the air out. Try this on the mouthpiece alone, and then again on the trumpet (G half, G half --> glissando --> Low C (whole)) at about m = 40 – 60).

When you approach the low register in this way you are allowing the horn to do the work, and in time, resonance (vibrancy in your lips) will increase, and the dynamic around the A / Ab will start to increase. As you glissando down through the seven valve combinations, making sure your sound is complete (not loud, but simply vibrating all the way through the glissando before it breaks into the actual lower note), you are not changing your embouchure set up, but you are causing the lips to vibrate more completely. This enhanced vibration is putting a much stronger signal into the trumpet which can be observed as a louder sound, but it is really a more resonant sound.

You don’t get this sound quality by blowing more (which can actually lead to overblowing and dampening of the signal – what you are currently experiencing), you get it by patiently moving into the lower register from above, assuring that you have a full tank of air and are “letting†the air out (not aggressively forcing it out).

This has been my experience, and I thought it was worth sharing. Hope this is helpful!

Now back to Manny!

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, Derek, and isn't that a great tie you're wearing today?

jeremy,

If you're experieincing what you're describing, your lips are in the way, crowding the rim and cup of the mouthpiece. Move some stuff out of the way and keep it out.

I got your message and actually wrote you back, too.

Back to you, Derek.

ML

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    [donning my most resonant Walter Cronkite broadcaster voice]

[​IMG]

From Manny and Derek and your Action 12 News Team, serving the greater Minneapolis and Phoenix Metropolitan areas, “that’s the way it is!â€