Lower back aches after playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by buckhorn, Sep 10, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tom, have you tied this device? It is not the same motion. This device actually opens up the spin. You can feel in when you first turn it on. It is very much like having a chiropractic manipulation at a fraction of the cost. as you use is every day.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I'm not trying anything that costs $200 and is advertised by infomercial on its website.

Tom

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How about if a physician that finds patients benefit from this... even to the point of preventing surgery?

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Nothing personal... but we haven't met. So I reserve judgement.

Tom

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What's Bed n Bath's got that hydro therapy or a Jacuzzi ain't? Pretty hot water I like, but any vibration gives me the willies.

6. buckhorn

buckhorn Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2006
    Ohio
    I am the OP of this thread. Sorry I'm been too busy to jump on and reply but have read the replies via my phone. I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. Here's what I've taken from this. First of all, the musical was an unusual event so shouldnt get too concerned. The sore back after 4 hour big band gig last week followed by the 3 church services the next day were likely brought on by the stool I had to sit on at the BB gig. The band tries to tier the sections, when there are no risers available, by using different types of seating.

All that said, I have a lower back problem regularly that needs to be dealt with. I have decided to try the Back2Life machine suggested by the Doc. I agree with Tom about the $200 price tag for the thing so just bought one in like new condition on Ebay for $69 including shipping. If anyone else is interested, there are quite a few on there for $50ish. This is the same tack I take with buying mouthpieces I want to try. Then when I get it I can re-sell it and not lose money. I also intend to try the heat for 20 mins 2x daily and will look into the Willow Bark or just use Advil.

Thanks again, my trumpet brothers and sisters. What a great resource we have.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do give this at least a couple of weeks to see results. On average, it takes several days (about a week) to get a response, but it is also not unusual to need to go out several weeks to find a benefit. I would also recommend at least 260 mg Willow Bark extract for the short term. Keep the Back-2-Life going for long term (it is also preventative therapy). Let us know how you progress.

8. buckhorn

buckhorn Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2006
    Ohio
    Will do. I wont have the Back2Life for a week or so, but will reply back to this post in a few weeks. Thanks.

9. buckhorn

buckhorn Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2006
    Ohio
    FYI...got the Back2Life yesterday and used it today for the first time. Hard to believe it will help but will give it a week of 2xs a day as recommended and report back.

10. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Can I float an idea out there?

I've dealt with lower back pain, soreness, and tightness since my early 20's, mostly from sitting at a desk all day and then playing basketball in the evenings, and I've always been able to alleviate it with:

1. Proper, controlled push-ups 3 times a day - as many as I can do in a set.
    2. Hitting the swimming pool at the gym 2-3 times a week.

If it's a factor, I'm 35 right now.

I'm not recommending that as the proper course of action, just putting it on the table for discussion.

I'll now defer to someone whose name is followed by a litany of capital letters.