Lower Jaw Trembling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by blow, Jul 26, 2004.

1. blow

blow New Friend

Jul 25, 2004
    McLean, VA
    Hi,

New to here, a great site, BTW.

I played trumpet in senior high (about two decades ago) and didn't pick it up until recently. I found that my lower jaw trembles involuntarily a lot, especially in the begining of the day. It takes quite some time to alleviate it.

Is there any way to get it fixed? Thanks for the attention.

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Welcome aboard!

My guess is that your muscles are not used to playing just yet. I would suggest a lot of long tones for both a warm up and a warm down. When I have problems with any part of my embouchure muscles, I also like to simply buzz with the mouthpiece. This seems to help a great deal.

Others will have good advice too. I just happen to be up late.

Jim

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Do you feel that you are really tense when you play?

Do you have a lot of tightness around the shoulders , chest or throat?

Mentally what are you thinking about when you play? Are you totally relaxed or is you mind really cluttered

I am not sure of what exactly could cause this but I can think of a few things it might be. I think the best thing to do would be to seek out a good private teacher.

Please keep us posted.

4. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    When stage fright attacks me my lower jaw will tremble. I thought I was the only one that this had happened to. old geezer Dave
    p.s. I just put my mind on something else and the tremble usually goes away. :shock:

5. musiclifeline

musiclifeline New Friend

Mar 18, 2004
    Manhattan
    I'm a semi-pro, and this still happens to me from time to time... I was worried, so I kept a log of it for about 6 months (this was several years ago). I found that the four main contributors to jaw trembling are (in order from highest to lowest):

- not enough food
    - caffeine
    - extreme body temperature (too cold or too hot)
    - not enough sleep