lower tooth bite

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yugga, Jan 13, 2015.

1. yugga

yugga Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2015
    Hi I've been playing for about 18 months. I have an unbranded 7c mouthpiece. My bottom teeth bite slightly in front of the top and I have a slightly thicker bottom lip. I get some abrasion where the inside of it pushes against the teeth. Probably embouchure/pressure related but wondering if a different mouthpiece may help? Bigger? Flat or rounded rim? Wide or narrow? Thanks!

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Your immediate challenges have nothing to do with mouthpiece selection. And changing at this stage will only complicate your issues. (Believe me, I have the T-shirt for this one!)

If you don't have a tutor, then get one. It sounds very much like you need some professional one-to-one guidance in helping to develop your approach and technique. This can't be done on an internet forum.

gmonady likes this.
  3. yugga

yugga Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2015
    Thankyou. I think youre right. Experimenting with lip placement and i think i can improve it. Its only really when i play a long time. My tone is quite good but i think i use too much pressure in high register and push against the mouthpiece but my lower teeth do catch my lip more than most so any mechanical assistance would be useful. Should my lower lip be inside the mouthpiece or on it?

I have an ad hoc teacher and havnt seen him for a while and never raised this specifically with him so will do so!!

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Yugga,

I have chipped and crossed teeth top and bottom, plus a mass of scar tissue on both lips due to an overly brave cricketing catch. I used to have lip abrasion problems top and bottom after heavy playing sessions.

Since I learnt how to play with minimal pressure, I can practise all day throughout my range and NEVER injure my lip. Get your teacher out of hock, and discuss this seriously with him.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Use less pressure regardless of whatever mpc you use. Seth is correct and lots of us have "that" t-shirt!! Welcome to the forum!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yugga, I'll gladly second the idea of getting a lesson. A teacher gets to experience you and your sound in real-time and 3D. It may be that slightly raising the bell as you ascend will help, but it may not. :dontknow: