Lubaloy?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by contempora, Sep 24, 2005.

1. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    Any metal experts out there?

Just posted a set of 1970 F.A. Reynolds catalogs to the Contempora Corner website and of interest are the Contempora trumpet and cornet, which are described as having a Lubaloy bell. From some quick googling, this seems similar in composition to red brass (~90% copper, 8-9% zinc plus tin). However, lubaloy is primarily used as a "coating" on bullets. So... would a lubaloy bell be a solid or coated bell? I assume solid, but thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone knows any more.

P.S. I find it somewhat humorous that Texas-made horns would be made with an alloy primarily used on bullets...

2. Jeff Stewart

Jeff Stewart New Friend

Nov 19, 2004
    I'm no metal expert but i did go to a website called matweb which gives composition and characteristics of just about any metal out there and looked up Lubaloy. It is similar to Red brass but with a slightly higher copper content (interesting since from the cataloge the bell looks more like yellow brass). Both have excellent cold working properties and are very similar in hardness and machinability. Bushings and bearings are the uses that Matweb said are most common and didn't mention ammunition in the list of uses. Who knows, maybe its cheaper than red brass or maybe the marketing boys thought "Lubaloy" sounded cool or high tech.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Lubaloy

By "coating" the actual meaning is jacket material. This is the copper colored outside of some bullets that covers the lead core and allows high velocities without the lead of the bullet contacting the bore of the rifle or pistol and leaving deposits of lead adhered to the rifling in the barrel. These deposits destroy accuracy by deforming the subsequent bullets traveling through the bore.

OLDLOU>>

4. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    Thanks, Jeff. It was interesting that the Contempora tenor trombone was still listed with a "Bron-o-lite" [sic] bell, but the trumpet/cornet were Lubaloy. In the 1966 catalog they were all generically a "bronze alloy bell". Yet another thing that changed after the move to Abilene I guess...

ElShaddai

P.S. The 1970 scans are of a photocopy (haven't had time to directly scan the original catalogs); the bells do not appear as red as the older horns, but still not yellow.

5. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    Re: Lubaloy

Thanks - I appreciate the clarification!