Lumbar spinal fusion

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jerry Freedman, May 26, 2012.

1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I am having a spinal fusion of the three lower lumbar discs and the sacrum. I know that there is a long recovery. The question is: How long before I can start playing trumpet again?

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Ask your Neurosurgeon. He will be able to tell you what is safest. He will probably put you thru a little Physical Therapy to promote recovery. My Best regards for a speedy recovery.

3. saponi100

saponi100 New Friend

Mar 29, 2009
    fajardo pr
    I have had 2 cervical spinal fusions and it took me about 2-3 months after the surgery.It may be different
    since yours is lower back. Hope it goes well!!!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've had L4, L5 and S1 fused concurrent with right hip surgery. I'm almost certain you won't be able to play the first month afterward and you wouldn't want to try to do so with all the pain meds you'll be prescribed. That was in October 1979 consequent to an on the job disability incurred in January 1976 and I didn't start my first brass horn comeback until 2006 so I can't truly say when you'll be able to play again and as others have stated rely on the advice of your neuro surgeon which I hope you do have and not an orthopedist. The point I do make is at some future time you will again be able to play and I'll Pray for your optimum recovery.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Wow! Good luck, man. I'm recovering from back surgery at this very moment, but it's nothing like what you are facing. I send you my best wishes for a successful surgery and a steady and healthful recovery.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany