Lush Life Soundtrack w/ Chuck Fidley

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Jazzman, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Have any of you guys really checked this movie? I mean, Chuck is really playing his butt off in this film....
    Larry, do you have any stories to share about this session? I mean the Clifford Brown stuff and the big band lead playing is utterly amazing......
    I thought that the actor who played the role of a trumpet player, played it well. I understand that Chuck spent alot of time with him to get it right.......
    This was a Lennie Niehaus soundtrack correct?

2. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi Jazzman,

I called Bobby about this one, he sent me clip a clip of a trailer, that his son Ian had.

http://videodetective.com/home.asp?...=&CustomerID=14817&WM=True&Ads=True&Play=TRUE

It's from some movie detective source.

This is why Chuck is more than a trumpet player, he's a trumpet personality. When Chuck plays, you can always tell it Chuck. He never plays if safe, never in C.Y.A mode like some players might have approached this project. Always " balls to the wall " never saving something for the shout chorus. Everything he plays is a shout chorus.

He has confidence personified when he puts that trumpet to his face and the ultimate Chuck's the ultimate NON -gear head . Same calicchio trumpet bought in 1968 , the famous 1s/2 model and same mouthpiece he got from Bob Reeves in 1969
    43 rim / ESs cup / 69 backbore / 26 throat / 5 shank bent 12 degree's. He plays everything on that set-up. WOW !!

More later on the Lush Life / Chuck Findley story. I really want to ask Chuck about it. Let's get some good stuff here. Forrest Whitaker played the trumpet player, he also starred as Charlie Parker in the Clint Eastwood directed move " Bird "

Enjoy the clip, better yet, rent the movie. I still watch Uncle Joe Shannon, just to hear Maynard play

Right you are, Jazzman, Lennie Neihous wrote the score.

LG

3. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    WHOA

let me get this straight Larry..........You called Chuck?? I mean you just picked up the phone and called him for this post?? WOW!!! :shock:
    I really love this movie. Forrest really did a great job acting the part. I really am a fan of Chuck's playing on this soundtrack. There is a scene where Chuck plays Cherokee that is really amazing. Also, a Salsa tune where he lights it up. Also, he plays "Up Jumped Spring" with the warmest tone and feel. Thanks very much Larry and looking forward to hearing more about this........ :D

4. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Jazzman,

You'd be surprised how nice these guys are ( not all of course ).
    Because they don't get the luxury of playing in front of live audiences very much, they tend to think not one's listening, does anyone remember
    me.

If you do alot of studio word, especially movies, your playing gets lost in the shuffle, it's background.

To make a long story short, they like to hear that someone is still listnening and enjoining their playing , plus I have Chuck's home and cell # so I don't have to thru the service. Makes it easier.

I want to do a good post about it so I want the time to transcribe my notes from the call.

LG

Larry

5. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Larry-
    That sounds great and we are all excited about the notes from the call!! 8)

6. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    Chuck played beautifully at Conte Candoli's memorial service. A couple years ago. I can't remember now. Dec.

7. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Does anyone have a copy of the movie "LushLife" ... I found a few for sale on Amazon, however did not see the little secure pad lock on the bottom of my screen so I'm extemely hesitant about an on line order.

If you have a good copy please send me a Private Message.

Thank you

8. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    4/8/04 & 4/11/04

I'm watching it right now. (Yeah, I know big deal)

It's on again at 4:00 am west coast time on the BETMW channel.

I scrolled forward and it shows that it's on again on Sun. 3:50pm.

Hope that helps.

Please verify times and dates if you're interested.