Lutheran hymnal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hup_d_dup, Jan 21, 2010.

1. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Following the advice of several posts at this forum, I decided to buy a Lutheran hymnal. I found that it is published under several different names and dates. Could someone please recommend the best - strictly from a musical standpoint - edition? (please be specific with name and date).

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think there is one specific edition that is "best". I play in Catholic churches, so I have a copy of the hymnal that is most widely used. Just pick one that has the most songs.

THe Praise hymnal that I have is a choir edition, so many of the songs have SATB parts to read as well.

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Yes, the edition that is "widely used" and has the "most songs" sounds like a good choice.

What is the precise name and date of publication? Thanks.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    While not wanting to offend those who love late 19th and early 20th century music, uhh, a bunch of Protestant church music sounds like badly written college fight songs.

I use the Evangelisches-gesangbuch, Ausgabe fuer die Evangelische Landeskirche in Wuerttemberg, because that is where I played, taught, and worshiped for quite a number of years. Basically, it contains all the tunes used in "Lutheran" Germany (weird theological influences in southern Germany, Calvin big time; Brenz in Wuertttemberg). The tunes are pretty much the same, though.

The hymnal was redone in 1996 (a number of old people lamented that they couldn't come out with a new hymnal after all the old people were dead).

The ISBN number for my standard issue is 3-931895-04-1. It has all the songs and liturgy (in German). The publisher is the Gesangbuchverlag Stuttgart, Gmbh.

The Catholic songbook in Germany is called Gotteslob, and has a bunch of good tunes too.

As to the hymnbooks I didn't buy, if I felt gipped or insulted on a church gig I took one. I admitted this to a Canon in the Church of England, and he confessed to "pinching" a number of hymnals himself. The unspoken message was that stealing hymnals is like stealing Bibles--no one complains if you use them.

Have fun!

5. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I would go to a used book store and find a hymnal that has the songs you want to play regardless of denomination. The object is to get a book of songs that don't crunch your brain to try and play. You can find some with fight songs and be at peace songs in the same book. There is a time for every season.
    -Bobby

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    After many years of playing primarily hymns, both in my personal practice and in public performances, I have found some forms of hymnals that I don't like, and many that I do like. My least favorite is the Christian Reformed Psalter Hymnal. My dislike is the result of a great portion of that hymnal being devoted to Holland Psalms; most boring! The Roman Catholic hymnals that I have encountered have lots of Gregorian Chants. These are definately not to my taste either. I find in many churches,(evangelical), that the late edition hymnals have almost all of the music transposed downward and in keys of many sharps. This makes transposing to concert pitch to be in tune with pianos and organs an un needed chore.
    As for 'filtching' hymnals from churches, I always ask first, and usually get permission to take one of that churches hymnals home. The thought of just plain stealing, and especially from any church offends me.
    The playing of hymns is a fine way to practice melodic music and to learn and practice transposition into 'concert pitch'.

OLDLOU>>

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This is the one I see most:

Gather Comprehensive Hymnal - GIA Publications

Here's a listing of the songs in it:
    http://www.giamusic.com/products/GatherComp_List2.cfm

Has a good selection of traditional stuff and "newer" favorites along with service music. The choir edition is the better choice because of the multiple voicings on most songs.

Again, the churches I generally play in are Roman Catholic, so your mileage may vary from faith to faith...

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Here you are: ELW, Evangelical Lutheran Worship, pew edition, copyright 2006, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, published by Augsburg Fortress Publishers, PO box 1209 ,Minneapolis, MN 55440. Augsburg Fortress
    ISBN 13:978-0-8066-5618-2. Book used in ELCA churches including mine. Many good hymns from many cultures. Since my wife is organist and choir director I have sung many of them as a choir member and parishoner.

9. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Bingo! Thank you very much, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

By the way, the reason I asked this question here is that I already have three hymnals: Methodist, Presbyterian and Episcopal. I don't know if I have the best editions of each. Of the ones I have, the Methodist is clearly the best, the Presbyterian is OK, but the Episcopal, not so much. Maybe there's a better edition for the Episcopal. So for the Lutheran, I figured to access the wisdom of the group rather than pinning a tail on the donkey.

The other suggestions are interesting, especially Evangelisches-gesangbuch so I'm going to look into them as well.

Thanks so much to all.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Lutheran church came up with a "modern" edition many years ago. Some churches never threw away the old ones. I use the old red LCA Hymnbook.

My point was that it doesn't matter. 700+ easy tunes with verses that give you an idea what mood you need to convey is what counts. Some days I only play POWER, HONOR and GLORY. Other days meek, humble, sheep.