Lynn Nicholson trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by edfitzvb, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    They aren't out yet, so unless you are in Vegas, you won't be trying it.

2. dbanks

dbanks New Friend

Feb 11, 2008
    Silver Lake, Ohio

I have played the Lynnzhorn. The projection is real. The wide open, comfortable slots are real. As you ascend, the horn lights up like a Christmas Tree. Though it was not designed for just middle register playing, it will blend when called upon. The fact that it comes with two slides allows you to fine tune it to the type of playing you do in general, or if needed a specific date. When I read that it doesn't compare to a Monette or Adams, keep in mind the price point. Lynn is not trying to compare to those, he's offering a very solid trumpet that will do things your current horn may not be able to do. Lynn has bent over backwards working with me on this horn, and my respect for his innovative spirit, new concepts, and hands on approach has no bounds.

3. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Thnx banks 2nd run out yet? This is one I don't need to 'play-test'! I'm actually on a gig right now and wish I had it!:-)

4. Furcifer

Furcifer Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2010
    TEXAS
    Well, I got to play #60 of 60 tonight! The cat got a deal on it, too - it supposedly had a ding on it or something, but neither he nor I could find a blemish. He had the "D" slide in - I'm hoping I'll be able to talk him into letting me try it with the round slide next week. I've been off on a break for a bit so I'd really like to work out hard for a week and try it again with the other slide. (I play a 180ST37 with a round nickel-silver braceless slide from M/K Drawing and Bending for lead work)
    So, initial impressions - it's got a very narrow bell - almost too narrow for mutes. It's a lead horn, no doubt. It feels like my .459 ML bore, even thought it's like, what, .465? (Although I've been told my Bach plays "bigger" and is a bit more free-blowing than a lot of .459 bore Bachs.) Now, about two months ago, I got to try a Jupiter/Roger Ingram, the Yammy Bergeron and 2 Bach Commercials - one ML and one Large Bore. The Lynnzhorn really felt more like the Yamaha Bergeron - to me - with still a lot in common with Ingram's.

The Lynnzhorn seems intentionally built more specialized to be a large bore lead horn with a ML bore feel. Can't beat the price for what you get. Let's put it this way - if you're making enough money off lead book gigs to go spend a couple of weeks with Flip Oakes or Dave Monette, then you should probably go do that. (Then again, I'd bet K.O. Skinsnes would hook you up right for a lot less ching, too.) But if you're a cat who plays around town, having a little more fun than money, and need a lead axe that won't break the bank or piss off the old lady too much, you could definitely spend a lot more, end up working a lot harder to blow lead books and ultimately do a hell of a lot worse. The guy that bought it is THAT guy, and he loves it and sounds great on it. His sound projects like crazy.

Now, for me and what I enjoy about playing trumpet, the Bach Commercial Large Bore just about captured my soul - but I'd really like to try a Schilke X3,X4 or a Stomvi Mambo before I pull the trigger. It's the only horn I've ever tried that really felt "$3-grand-easier" to blow than what I have. The amazing thing was when I fired up the strobe tuner and out of all those horns I tried, side-by-side with my own, the Bach LT190L1B was the only one that locked up EVERY ring of the strobe tuner, all over the horn - and it was effortless. The overtones were just amazing. I have to actually *try* to play something out of tune on that ax. I just worry that maybe it was just THAT horn... Probably shoulda bought it, LOL

DCIScreemer1987 likes this.
  5. N1684T

N1684T Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2016
    Wouldn't mind trying a Lynnshorn. But not going too. Too many great vintage horns to play and at much better prices. But, thats me. Still trying to get back some skills before venturing out with others;)

6. DCIScreemer1987

DCIScreemer1987 New Friend

Oct 2, 2017
    Byron Center, MI
    If anyone is selling one, I will gladly pay original price at 1300, if in good condition. Message me at [email protected]

7. N1684T

N1684T Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2016
    Now you can get the X mouthpiece to go with it. Only about $175

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just because someone is a fine player does NOT mean that they know anything about building trumpets with unique value ad. The chinese can build excellent instruments and the top companies there have had their artisans "old world" trained. I do not see them leading the pack however. They are building solid value, but not stretching the envelope by any measure.

If you are young, buy one and wait 50 years. It will surely become a collectors item.

trumpetnick likes this.