Maas Metal Polish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I used a paint remover called Krylon OFF!, but I don't know if it's available any more. Something strong (not water-soluble) like aircraft paint remover will take old lacquer off in minutes. Of course, after I had the cornet a few years and decided it was a keeper, I had it restored, and added copper plating on the bell for a bit of customization...

[​IMG]

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Nice job, Dale.

Sounds like too much effort for me. :cool:

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have tried them all, and Maas works te best for me. They also make a product called Metal Protector & Chrome Polish which is a thinner bodied formulation which will finish off the job started with the regular polish by making fine scratches disappear and will keep it that way for a long time.

4. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Dale,
    Is it still polished raw brass or did you you have it lacquered? Some polishes make it difficult to take lacquer if it leaves a silicone residue.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's lacquered now. I'm not a big fan of raw brass horns.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    On older horns a mild varnish remover will work. On newer ones I have been using something similar to Zip Strip that comes
    in a metal jug - can't recall the name at the moment. It is nasty stuff. Oh yea, I used that Aircraft Stripper stuff in a spray can
    from auto section of W-mart. It is nasty and effective. The stuff that is safe to breath really doesn't work. You could leave
    that stuff on a modern baked on horn finish all day and it won't come clean. It seems I always get close and then break out
    the 3M scratch pads to get the rest off - too impatient.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013