Made for each other?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by D.C. Al fine, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My vintage Blessings were merely average players until I switched to vintage Blessing mouthpieces, which really made them sing. Standard modern mouthpiece shank tapers/lengths were ill-suited to the horns' receivers. Other characteristics had significant effect also.
    Jim

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    For some players, yes, I think a specific mouthpiece may work really well with a specific horn -- and I think this probably applies to groups of players.

But I definitely don't think it applies to all, or even most, players. To use two specific examples:

I have an Olds Recording. I have had a Schilke 14A4a. The 14A4a simply doesn't work for me, on any horn I've ever tried it on. Nothing about the Recording is going to make that rim and cup work for me, no matter how well-matched the backbore might be to the horn.

I have a Martin Committee. I have had an Olds 3. The Olds 3 simply doesn't work for me -- it's too small. Nothing about the Committee is going to make that rim fit my chops.

I like both my Recording and my Committee. I like the Bob Reeves mouthpieces I use for just about all my playing. My mouthpieces are cut for sleeves, and I use different sleeves on the Recording and Committee.

Earlier tonight I pulled out the Schilke mouthpieces I have (a 15B and a 24) and tried them on the Recording, the Committee, and on my daily player -- a Jupiter XO 1600i. I also re-auditioned my occasionally-used Bach mouthpiece, a 2.5C, on all three horns. All three Schilke mouthpieces worked fine on all three trumpets. But there was no magic with them -- the trial simply confirmed that I'm happier with the Reeves. The Bach works well with all three horns, but seems to mesh with the Committee particularly well. But that's probably just for me and a small group of similar players.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I have found that some mouthpieces do indeed make certain horns open up better than others, and on some horns a mouthpiece that sounded great in another horn just don't get the job done. In my Recording, I get the best sound with a Rudy Muck piece (15S) but in my Super/Strad Frankenhorn I like the Reeves piece. I have a 14A4a but it doesn't give the focus that either of the two previously mentioned do.

4. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    The LOUD RB3C mpc works incredibly fine with my Olds Ambassador
    and a Curry 3 TC. with my Besson Stratford.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Different mouthpieces are like different shoes. Use what works and feels best.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've noticed that many of the vintage horns I own seem to play pretty well with their original mouthpieces, but many times, those mouthpieces don't suit me very well. The original mouthpieces (like the Conn 4 on Conn instruments or the Olds 3 on Olds instruments) are "interesting", but usually present playability issues I don't care to deal with - most stock mouthpieces that come with horns are just too small. My usual mouthpieces (trumpet and cornet) work fine most of the time on any horn I play.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    There is a simple rule of thumb.
    Three things must match - the player, the horn, and the mouthpiece. Change any one, and an adjustment will likely have to be made.
    Rich T.

gmonady likes this.