Made My decision - Baught My Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hello

I am very excited about the trumpet I have FINALLY decided to buy.

After all the long threads and everything... truth be told... the people that said "try them all out and let it pick you" was the wisest thing said.

I was able to hear a 17+ year experienced trumpet player play a 5000 dollar trumpet and a 700 dollar trumpet and to me both sounded almost the same... so I asked "where the hell is 4000 spent then?????" its in the 'playability" and probbably sound sticks together more the louder you go etc etc... but tone wise on a mild way of playing there was no difference... as people here had said "good player on student trumpet can make it sound like pro and vice versa"

Well

I listened to the YTR-2335 that I was told here I would not go wrong with.

I also Listened to the Bach TR-600 that I was told here is junk

I also listened to the Jupiter 606 model which nobody here mentioned.

Well

How did it all work out?

The Yamaha 2335 was 800 dollars
    The Jupiter 606 was 675 dollars
    The bach TR-600 was 625 dollars

The Yamaha 2335 was the worst sounding of the lot (opposite to what I was told here by other peoples ears and thoughts)

It has a very 'focused' sound. Not as 'open' (wrap around you) sound.

The Jupiter was nicer, it was more 'open' sounding and was 125 dollars cheaper.

The Bach TR600 was a nice dark round sound and even more open than the Jupiter 606.

The Bach at 625 was the best sounding horn of those 3 to my ears. Nice and mellow and open sounding.

So I am now a proud owner of the Bach TR600 which I must say you should add to 'good inexpensive horns' list as its GREAT value for money.

Thankyou for listening!

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    A great testimonial. It shows that the process can work. Now the only thing that remains is for you to create your own sound. That takes time and effort but it sounds like the TR600 will help you do that. I'm glad that you felt the advise here at least pointed you in the right direction. I hope you have a lot of fun with your new acquisition and we expect great things from you.

3. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Congrtas, now it is time for you to discover your sound on the horn.....

4. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Gxman....after all was said and done...you did the right thing by trusting your ears and ultimately basing your decision on what came out of the bell. Congratulations on finding the one that sounded right to you!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Its sooo subjective. Im glad you let the instrument find you and not take the advice of anyone else. There is a fan who swears by every make and model available and thats ok, we are all different. A new trumpet is just a baby that needs to develope a soul of its own, dont let it down. Play the crap out of it and have a great time. Best wishes.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    +1

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Congrats on the new horn! A guy in our church orchestra got one of those last year and the little bit I played it, it seemed like a pretty decent trumpet. What's that saying..."One man's junk is another man's treasure"? That goes for trumpets, too.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The only concern I have is that you listened to somebody else play your horn. As a first horn, that might work out. However, remember that the horn has to suit YOU. Listening to someone else play the horn is possibly the best you can do as a non-player, but you will be the one ultimately playing it. It is a uniquely personal thing.
    I do applaud the logical way that you approached your problem. If nothing else, you bolstered your confidence level. Best wishes for years of enjoyment as you progress.
    Oh... and Congratulations! Here's hoping you enjoy the quest as much as I have.

9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congratulations and happy playing to you!

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Just remember to KEEP THOSE SLIDES GREASED the Selmer red grease that comes in a little bottle is excellent.

Move all slides daily, you do not want a stuck slide!