Made of Glass vs Made of Steel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I've noticed on this and other forums there seems to be two types of players (roughly, and of course I'm stereotyping a bit). One type is totally hooked on equipment, mpcs especially, and thinks every little difference in equipment is of utmost importance. They also seem to think practicing is a thing of rigidity and routine. Like if one session varies or is missed, or exact routines aren't followed, somehow dire consequences will result. Warmups need to follow some set routine as well for good results. I think of this as the "Made of Glass" type.

On the other hand you have players who seem to say, ya equipment is a neat topic, can have an effect, but just get me a good horn and a couple good mpcs maybe and I'll adjust to whatever is needed by the situation. For practicing the attitude seems to be, know and practice the fundamentals as best you can, but most importantly play play play. Warmups are minimal if at all. This is the "Made of Steel" type.

I'm wondering if any veteran players (either are pros or regularly rub elbows with the pros) here have noticed this AND if they have any insight into which is more prevalent with top players. Like from what I've read about Arturo, he'd seem to be in the made of steel category. Personally, and my opinion on this is almost worthless since I'm such a newb, I'd think made of glass players would tend to be the younger less experienced players, sort of "the horn makes the player". And veteran pros would be the steels, "player makes the horn".

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    player make the horn.... for sure.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting concept, but I don't know if there would be a correlation as to whether veterans would be associated with "Made of Steel" and Newbies as "Made of Glass"? Could there be a correlation of Classical Players being "Made of Glass" and Jazzers being "Made of Steel"?

To me, I have not really noticed this, but I can say, the people I play with really do not discuss their equipment.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I think a great player will sound good on any equipment...

BUT, there is definitely "horses for courses"... or horns that match a players style.

Some guys are efficient medium step bore guys "racehorses"... and some are large bore power players "clydesdales"

A clydesdale player isn't going to like playing a smaller horn, and vice versa.

I think if someone is hammering a particular hardware setup it is because they have learned what works for them.

The thing to remember is that you have to figure out what kind of player you are so you can get complementary equipment.
    How often do you see someone that thinks they can just buy their favorite players rig and hope it will make them a monster...

If you suck on a Conn Director you will suck on anything...no matter how much money you spend.
    If you sound great on <insert your favorite 10k orgasmatron here> then you will also sound great on a Conn Director.

Don Jacoby believed that your warm up should be 8-10 mins max. long tones, slurs... air flow. You want to do just enough to get the blood flowing and then start making music. He really ragged on the 45 minute warm up guys.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I think less experienced players such as myself need to have regular practice to keep the muscle memory fresh. If I miss a day of practice I notice it in my playing.I don't miss many days. I am noticing this less and less as I am getting a few years into playing. Until habits are properly formed through time and repetition a player needs more regular practice to maintain their abilities. Once a habit is formed and ingrained a person can afford to miss a practice or warm-up without it being as big of an issue. It is my opinion that this approach is what makes players "Made Of Steel". I hope I am right.

The right equipment can make a difference with how easy it is do certain things on the horn. If I were to go back to my old set up (ml Bach 25 bell and 25 reversed leadpipe) I would have to go through an adjustment period to play as well as on my current equipment. Regular practice will overcome equipment issues as long as the equipment is not flawed or damaged in some way.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Glass is technically a fluid, steel is not. Enough said?

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I don't see players talking about their equipment at a gig to me. I'm curious sometimes like last Sunday when I asked the trombone what he was playing. 65 Conn 88H as I remember. Then he opened up about what his horn does for him. He likes playing jazz in clubs for example. Then the alto sax started talking about what he liked. As it turned out, we made a kind of boring gig fun. None of us knew each other before we played the gig. I confirmed my claim that at any given moment in a song, at least one of the horn players is lost....and at some point in the program...all the horns are lost and kind of pointing at different measures and whispering things like...maybe the vamp....or the 4th repeat of the tag. We have to laugh. I love working with talented cool musicians. Back to the subject. I compare talking about your equipment to talking about your tie. We don't start off complimenting or even talking about our ties or shoes for example, but, if someone breaks the ice and asks about my shoes......sit back 'cause I'm gonna tell ya a story.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I wear Bally. Made of leather, not glass or steel. Now I do have a story about the evil step sister's and the glass shoe. The real Bros. Grimm Story!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not really, this is universal muscle physiology, steel or glass. We ALL need to practice regularly to maintain muscle memory.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that this is much ado about NOTHING.

There are pros that make a lot of noise and are hung up on equipment and kids that could care less.

Nope, I see no issue here at all.

I think that every person has his own mix of hardware and indestructability. The better the player, the less gab. I am not really interested in what someone else does because it doesn't apply to me. I don't need to think about others hang ups, hardware or personality.