Made region band!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Evergrey_rocks, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    I can't believe that I did so well at region band this year! I made 2nd chair symphonic band, 9th overall out of like 100 trumpets and I qualified to move on to area! Woo!!!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Congratulations!

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Another Congrats , well done - done well!!

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    congrats...
    what state? what did you play for the audition?

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nice job! Congratulations!!!

6. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Congratulations!! Time to do a little analsis, so you can do even better next time. What did you do well and what did you need some "improvement"? Take notes to refer back to especially if you come across any of these judges again.

Merry Christmas, now go practice, (just kidding)ROFL

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    OK, Evergrey_Rocks, now that you've enjoyed your success for a while, a story related by former President Jimmy Carter:

I had applied for nuclear submarine program, and Admiral Rickover was interviewing me for the job... Finally he asked me a question and I thought I could redeem myself. He said, "How did you stand in your class at the Naval Academy?" ... I swelled my chest with pride and answered, "Sir, I stood 59th in a class of 820!" I sat back to wait for the congratulations — which never came.
    Instead the question: "Did you do your best?"
    I started to say, "Yes, sir," but I remembered who this was... I finally gulped and said, "No sir, I didn't always do my best." He looked at me for a long time, and then turned his chair around to end the interview. He asked one final question, which I have never been able to forget — or to answer. He said, "Why not?"

Point is, you have every right to be proud--you worked hard and placed in the top 10%, but as RRVancil pointed out, there is room for improvement. What if you had done your best every time you practiced? You might have ended up in the top 5% or 2%.... This isn't meant to discourage you, but rather to encourage you to do your best every time. That is how to become a professional.

By all means, give yourself some goof-off time--relax and enjoy. But, say, starting January 1st, challenge yourself to make it to the next level.

Have fun!

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Great feeling, isn't it? This will be a great learning opportunity. Such gatherings give you a chance to learn from excellent teachers as well as see horns from other schools. Enjoy.

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi evergrey,
    You stated:
    "I can't believe that I did so well at region band this year! I made 2nd chair symphonic band, 9th overall out of like 100 trumpets and I qualified to move on to area! Woo!!!
    ---------------
    That's great! You worked and got what you wanted, Bravo!!
    Just remember, you did what was necessary to get in. Now you must do what's necessary to stay in!!
    Make our Christmas a Merry Christmas and do your best at every opportunity.
    Congratulations!!
    Dr.Mark

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr. Mark is such a pragmatist. And I agree with him, pragmatically speaking. Congratulations are in order for the moment. Now get to work as you have a chair to maintain.