Made region band!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Evergrey_rocks, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    State: Texas
    And I gave each etude my all, I was in the zone. Did I mess up a few times in each one, yes, but I wouldn't change a single thing about how I played them (If I could do it again) As for the area competition, however, I will be changing a bunch of things that I could do better because I want to get into the state band! That is my goal! The best thing is only one kid from my school beat me, and he only beat me by 2 chairs. Considering the chair order of our school's top band, that says quite a bit: because he's the first chair player and I'm the last chair player. I'm gonna work my butt off to get into the State band!

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Well, in life out here in the world the 10th best player in town delivers pizzas for a living. The top 3 guys do 90% of the jobs. Keep practicing, but more practice fundamentals... not just endless repetitions of the region tunes. You want to always be one of those top 3 guys, and they are fundamentally better, not just on these tunes.

3. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Really well done on doing so well.

Don't listern to these miserable so and so's. Bask in the glory of your achievement (and then get on and build on it).

Congratulations.

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Way to go and glad to see the motivation to keep working! As I always remind young musicians as they prep for all-state and college/scholarship auditions, the real value of all the work lies in being a better musician after all is said and done.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I congratulated him in an earlier thread, but felt like I wanted to say that it is healthy to strive for more... "Pretty Good" is the enemy of "Great".
    Don't rest on your laurels too long.

It is fun to see your name up on that bulliten board (or however they announce it these days!).

6. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    jiarby, fair enough - I take it back, it was a bit harsh.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's a really fine line we walk on. Having self-esteem without being conceited, congratulating ourselves while still being realistic, being assertive without being aggressive. Tough stuff to pull off.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Exept in my case.... I'm Bad, Aahah Oh Yeah, I know it, I'm Bad Aahah, so glad, let's show it!!!!

9. oldtxguy

oldtxguy New Friend

Nov 12, 2013
    South TX
    Congrats man! Brings back fond memories of high school competition. Now kick butt at area!

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gmonady,
    You stated:
    "Dr. Mark is such a pragmatist.
    ------------
    Damned, I've tried to come up with something snarky or funny but I am pragmatic. I thought I was exciting but I'm more like the nerd with the pocket protector. Maybe what we think about ourselves is more important than what we really are.
    I hope my playing never becomes pragmatic or sensible. When it does just shoot me.
    Dr.Mark