Magazine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Nov 7, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I did some shopping in the supermarket today an passed the magazine stands.
    Sportsmagazines, Car magazines, hunting..bodybulding....hobby...all kinds of course. Then I realised I have never seen a trumpetmagazine or a brassplayermagazine on the internet and certainly no here in the Small Finland or in my neighbour country Sweden.

So...does such a magazine exist? would be cool to subscribe and get something like that in the mailbox once a month. :-P

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Windplayer is a good one - it includes woodwinds, but has a lot of good articles. It tends to showcase the comercial scene more, but that's where so many of the gigs are....

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I like windplayer good articles. You could try the ITG International trumpet Guild. See if you can find a site called internet brass resources, tons of links.

Bob G

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Try googling the International Trumpet Guild website. If you join you will get a journal approximately once a quarter. The journal is full of trumpet articles etc. which are really nice to read and sometimes very helpful. They also send you some recordings and music from time to time all for the price of a membership. Membership, I believe, is in the forty to fifty dollar range. I am a member, but do not remember how much I pay in dues.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The ITG Journal is full of interesting articles on all aspects of trumpets and playing them. Some pieces are a bit dry and academic (journal'ish) and some are just the opposite. There are clinic how-tos, history essays, artist profiles and interviews, scientific studies, printed music and recording reviews, event write-ups and calendars, and focus pieces on jazz, classical, practice strategies and techniques, pedagogy, and more.

Even the ads are fascinating.

Current membership costs $50 annually, $30 for students and seniors, and that gets you 4 quarterly journals, a huge discount on SmartMusic software, and other goodies ranging from sheet music to recorded music, to this year's CD with all of the content from roughly the first quarter century of the ITG Journal.

If you live and breathe trumpet, ITG membership is for you. (an unpaid endorsement from an amateur musician/trumpeter)

6. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Robert,

Philip Biggs created the Brass Herald after Jean-Pierre Mathez's wonderful Brass Bulletin stopped paper publication a few years back. You can find it here http://www.thebrassherald.com/

Finland has such a rich tradition (I'm very fond of the concert hall and conservatory in Kuopio where I spent a week back in the 90s). Perhaps you should contact Jouko Harjanne about starting a publication using Lieksa as a base?

Best,
    EC

7. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Thanks for the info guys!...oh and girls :-)

I will check theese things out!