Maggio - Gordon, maind differeces and simmilarities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Feb 1, 2011.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    What are the main differences and the main simmilarities between Maggio and Gordon method

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Very easy: one may work for you and the other not. You will never know until you try. They both have similarities too: if you find a teacher that really knows one or the other, they work better respectively. Neither one is really a self-help concept!

3. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    why you dont simply just shut the site down and redirect all users to private teachers

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Frank, Rowuk is A PRIVATE TEACHER.

5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    and he is using this site to blatantly promote that only a private teacher can solve your problem.

I do not have a problem really I was just asking out of curiosity what are the main differencies

And then he came and blatantly shut the conversation down before it even started

than he should shut the site down as well

it has become pointless , every thread adjourns with "find a teacher"

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    There is this prevalent mindset the ONLY a private teacher can help you progress. It is not only pervasive here but on other trumpet sites as well.

That may have been true 10-15 years ago. However, with the proliferation of the internet, trumpet-related information (and mis-information, of course) has widened the world of the average trumpet player in breath and means far beyond what I would have dreamed when I was in college.

I now believe that while it is advantageous and desirable to study with a good teacher (and there are more poor teachers than good ones), it is not an absolute necessity to become a good player. It behooves everyone to take a lesson or two to get on the right track, and to take the occasional lesson from a good pro, but not everyone is inclined, or even needs to study with a private teacher.

An obvious caveat is that if you want to become world-class, or even top-shelf, you likely would be taking lessons from a top-flight teacher. However, I don;t think the majority of people here fit in that category.

Ultimately you are your own teacher, and if you have a good head on your shoulders, are discriminating, you can do a lot by observing and listening, and playing and talking to other good players.

7. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    1. My work in Claude Gordon was very helpful, because my teacher was a Gordon student who used to play with Harry James.

2. My work in Maggio has been self-taught, and helpful (as well as Stamp)

3. My work with Manny Laureano (even though I was a DMA candidate) centered on my weaknesses. He's the best, and I only stopped our studies because I didn't feel I could absorb what he had to give. I am not one of the guys traveling around doing auditions! I may be third, fourth or fifth tier - but I love to play!

In general, I say that with the appropriate teacher is better than without.

(P.S. - We all like to make money giving lessons, but saying that they're beneficial doesn't make us greedy. Be nice, guys!)

8. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I don't think that FrankMike was calling anyone greedy, just perhaps that at best there's a bias, at worst an agenda at work.

I also don;'t believe that anyone here would argue that working with a good teacher is not beneficial I think our quibble is when every thread is interrupted by those who proclaim that the ONLY way to get anywhere is via a private teacher. some of us dispute that claim. Some of us believe that exploration is a good thing, and needn't necessarily be under the tutelage of a teacher.

9. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    No one has the time to try out every method with a different teacher. If I was interested in either of these two methods the first thing I would do would be to get as much information about both of them from as many sources as possible, BEFORE selecting a teacher.

Take it easy frankmike, no one is shutting anything down. You're just getting someone's opinion, you can take it or leave it.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Frankmike,
    I give you more credit than your post implies.

Shutting the site down and directing all to private teachers is no answer. On the other hand, the two methods that you asked about need much more individual guidance than most are willing to admit. If your goal is just noodling around the trumpet, then it makes NO DIFFERENCE what exercises that you practice daily. Buy both, try them and you will find some exercises that you can have fun with.

If your goal in picking these methods is to get better, then you need the proper guidance to optimize the effort.

I think that the assumption that there is a particular METHOD that solves problems is flawed. Correcting problems and building proper playing habits simply require a watchful eye from someone that has been there. Even something as simple as long tones can greatly benefit when a decent teacher monitors the process.

So, just like the fact that I would not trust having my car serviced by someone who never got formal training, the enjoyment listening to others is much greater when they too have had some formal guidance and a better, more well rounded approach to playing.

There are books that lend themselves to self help approaches. The two that you mentioned are not suitable for that. Clarke and the Irons lip flexibilities probably are easier to understand and can produce better results. If the player is doing something seriously wrong, they just suckseed in making those habits more permanent. The DIY-selfer may never notice until it is too late.

For the record, this is an open internet forum. If you ask a question, you may get answers that you don't like. I post here as a regular member. Moderation only comes into play when stupidity exceeds usefulness. That is not very often.

I am not advertising for private teaching. I am simply announcing the results of 40 years of watching and listening.