Mahler 1

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by JackD, Oct 27, 2004.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Manny et al -

I've got an audition coming up for a really good orchestra that's doing Mahler 1 as part of their rep. for the coming season, and so I'm required to do some extracts from it for the audition.

I've got a couple of questions - which mute do you use for those fanfares in the 1st mvt (fig. 23 in my part), and should those figures be slightly rushed? (My german isn't too hot : "Vorwarts drägend"??)

I'd also appreciate any stylistic tips etc, because I've never played any Mahler before (though I have been listening for a while).

Cheers!

Jack.

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Just to add: I've just practised the extract from the end of the 2nd mvt - that trill comes out as a G#/F# on my Bb ending on a slur up to a B. I'm finding that lick pretty tough, so I'd appreciate any help there!

Cheers,

Jack.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Jack, try it on the D trumpet! This symphony is a prime example of the use that a good D trumpet can be. G#/F# becomes E/D.
    I have Bach 229L, 236ML and 304 D trumpets. I love them. I chose them 8)
    Wilmer

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Wilmer - I would if I could! I've only got a Bb at the moment. I really have to go shopping.

5. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I would recommend getting the Michael Sachs Mahler Symphonies book. It has all the trumpet parts to the first three symphonies and excellent practice guides to certain excerpts, as well as a very useful german glossary in the back. This book is a great investment for any young trumpet player (like myself) entering in the world of auditioning. Best of luck!

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Thanks - that's the 3rd recommendation I've had for this book, so I'm looking into it!

Jack.

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Just to update - I got the gig!

The audition went quite well, though I did mess up a few extracts.

Now I've got to go look at that Rachmaninoff 1 part...

Cheers,

Jack.