Mahler 2...

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Phattlippz, May 9, 2005.

1. Phattlippz

Phattlippz New Friend

Sep 27, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    I'm getting a rare opportunity to play with a professional orchestra - playing 5th trumpet on Mahler 2. The 2 spots that worry me are the lick that goes up to high C on C trumpet, and the fast triplet lick in B minor (C trumpet transposed).

Any advice on how to mentally approach those spots? I'm going to slow-practice the b minor lick, but I'm not sure how to approach the C -G -C lick (where the high C needs to fade to nothing.)

Any advice would be great!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Phatt,

To be completely frank, this is one of those licks you don't go into wondering whether you've got a high C at your disposal. You either have a high C at this point or you don't. If there's any insecurity about it, you may consider doing it on a D if you have one or on an Eb with the 3rd valve.

ML

3. Phattlippz

Phattlippz New Friend

Sep 27, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thanks very much Manny. I should definitely clarify - I do have a high C, but being relatively new to playing a Bach C trumpet, and playing orchestral music in general has brought several things to my attention.

1. My level of stress seems to determine whether or not I can play that note with the required control for the piece.

2. Tuning that note on C trumpet is a mother.

3. I should find some exercises or practice routine that "routinely" takes me up to that note and beyond in a musical, efficient way.

Most likely what will happen is that the principle will just have tpts 1-3 play it, but I'd like to feel like I could pull it off if asked - perhaps down the road I'll get another shot at playing the piece.

How did you develop your ease of playing in the upper register?

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    You are going to be part of a section.
    Work on the lick C-G-C with another player. Listen to the other player, work on adjusting to another player's pitch smoothly. This is the most difficult thing to do.
    Play on your C trumpet as much as possible, it really does get easier to play the more you do it.

Wilmer

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, Phatt, thanks for the clarification.

Here's what you need to do, Wilmer, as usual is right. Play your horn as much or maybe more than the Bb until you have a clear idea how it behaves. Get to know it well.

Once you do that, you have to determine some pitch things. I'm going to assume the usual problems: middle C is a little sharp if you play it right down the center in the best part of the sound. G above is is sharper still if you play it in the center. The High C will be flat, again, if you play in the center without regard to pitch.

Play the lick without regard to pitch (with any luck, no one will be listening). Get used to that and then gradually do what you need to do to get it in tune. Maybe 2-3 for mid C, 1-2 for the G, and you're on your own for the high C. It's a question of knowing what your pitch tendencies are before you try to play with everyone else and adjust.

Now here's some good news: the later editon of this symphony has all the trumpets play the high C at first but you're out after one measure. The first and second carry the day for the remaining measures. So, you're off the hook for the quiet part. What you do need to do is play the high C nice and loud so the first two players can relax and hold the note at a lesser dynamic since they have to hold longer.

Great piece... have fun.

ML

6. Phattlippz

Phattlippz New Friend

Sep 27, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thanks very much Wilmer and Manny - I'm definitely going to put that advice to use.

Tim

7. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    Jim Thompson has a great approach to the "high C" section...

Just play it, and if you need to drop out--do so gracefully. The last trumpeter standing has indeed achieved the decrescendo!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Enjoy some of the most glorious music ever written.
    I was about 20 years old when I played Mahler 2nd the first time.
    I was on a musical high for weeks. I love playing Mahler!
    Wilmer