Mahler 4 Discrepancies

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by blutch, Mar 23, 2005.

1. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Manny,

The orchestra at my school is doing Mahler 4. We were listening to a Chicago Solti recording of it in a sectional class and notice there are a couple of soloistic lines on the recording that aren't in the Kalmus parts.

Reading the program notes on the CD I noticed that Mahler revised this symphony a couple of times. I think the Kalmus parts are of the most current revised version.

The question is, are those lines in the original version? It doesn't say on the recording what version they were doing.. but those solo lines are on a couple of other recordings we dug up - Berlin, New York.. etc.

Do you know where I could get a copy of the original parts to compare them?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this one.

Michael Anderson
    Bass School of Music
    Oklahoma City University

2. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    They have a set of CD-rom with pdf files of the complete trumpet parts to all the Mahler symphonies, really useful tool to get and it also has a lot of other great pieces. You could probably find these at Hickeys or any other sheet music retailer.

3. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have kalmus parts. Two sets. I doubt the originals are available at Hickey's.. maybe on the CD-Rom.

If anyone has them and would email them, i'd like to see at leas the first part.

MA

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Blutch,

The Kalmus parts are not the last revision Mahler made. Universal provides the edition that large budget professional orchestras use on a rental basis. Most universities that play Mahler opt for buying the Kalmus editions which are cheaper and the basis of many old recordings even though Mahler had already revised his music.

I would check out the London Symphony recording with Klaus Tennstedt. Very heartfelt recording and quite exciting. Also try Bernstein with Vienna.

ML

5. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Manny!

i had it backwards... I thought the Kalmus were more current and the recordings were of the original.

I sure would like to get a set of trumpet parts of that Universal version.. any ideas on that?

Thanks!

MA

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Call the Minnesota Orchestra Library at (612)-371-5622 and ask for Paul Gunther. That would be the fastest way to get good information.

ML