Mahler 5/CSO on DVD

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by dizforprez, Sep 24, 2004.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Has any one seen the CSO/Barenboim DVD of Mahler 5?

Is it just me, or does the brass seems to get ‘the hand’ a lot?

2. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Havent seen that one. Just the Solti recording in Japan. Who is playing first on this? What year?

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    it is from 97' trumpet sections is Bud Herseth, William Scarlett, Mark Ridenour and John Hagstrom.

4. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    It's a great DVD, Bud plays his a** off and it never ceases to amaze me how incredible he is, even at such an elderly age. Not to mention it's always awesome to watch Barenboim work his stuff. Another good to check out is the Berlin Mahler 5 DVD, I can't remember who conducts off the top of my head, but it's good stuff.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    not just Bud , i would say all of them are :lol:

I will have to check out the Berlin DVD sometime when i get a chance.i

6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    5th DVD

Yes, it's a great DVD. The entire brass section sounds fantastic.

Yes, I agree that the brass gets a lot of the hand, but that does not seem to hold Bud Herseth back. He just keeps on... he gets so red when he plays doesn't he? Of course, his white hair really contrasts the face. What a great player... and gentleman... I've never met him... but at the end of the Mahler, he gets a loud and long applause from the audience... he just bows humbly... I know of many other performers (no names) that have been recognized in such a way and then I see the nose in the air... he is truly a gentleman.

Also, I love the rose thing at the end. He sticks his horn out with the bell up to receive the rose from Barenboim.