Mahler symphonies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I am going to get a Mahler symphony series for Christmas this year. I am considering getting Solti with the CSO as i have no Bud Herseth in my collection. What is your favourite Mahler series? Which would you recommend?

Merry Christmas

B.U.M.

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    BUM,

The latest series from Berlin and Simon Rattle is magnificent. I've enjoyed these far more than others in my collection.

Happy holidays,
    EC

3. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Ed ,
    I can't seem to find that series on Amazon. I did however find a Simon Rattle series that was a mixture of CBSO and BPO. Is it this one?

Amazon.co.uk:

(it's at the top of the page)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with Ed.

My second favorite is Inbal with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra. I believe there is a VERY young Reinhold Friedrich (24 or 25 years old) behind the rotary valved trumpet on that series. The sound quality is incredible!

The most miserable job of recording was done by Decca with the Concertgebouw and Chailly. The recording engineers should be turned into garbage collectors. That is all they produced here! Great playing though!

5. adohanian

adohanian Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2005
    boston
    If you are going to get one complete symphony cycle then Solti has some great brass playing and the Tilson Thomas recordings with San Fran are very good as well. However, I might try talking Santa into getting you a mix and match set with different orchestras and conductors. I agree that the Rattle recordings with Berlin are tremendous, the recordings with Birmingham are a bit lacking in comparison, their sound can be too light at times and the extremes in the music are not extreme enough, at least for my taste, and I wouldn't really want to buy all of those recordings just for the sake of getting the 5 and 9 with Berlin. Same with the Bernstein set from the 80s where I like the New York, and some of the Vienna recordings, but not the entire cycle, so if I had to choose I would mix and match from all of these cycles instead of buying one complete cycle.

adam

If you do go the complete cycle route, I would also consider the set of live performances that the New York Phil sells. The performances are conducted by various conductors, and they span the late 40s with Bruno Walter through the mid 80s. You can hear how the orchestra's sound changes over that time and the Mahler 2, which I think is from '81 or '82, has some of the best trumpet section playing I've heard in a live setting