Main tuning slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeter 62758 OLD, Apr 11, 2006.

1. trumpeter 62758 OLD

trumpeter 62758 OLD New Friend

Apr 8, 2006
    It'sthe slide on my Getzen Renaissance . Water is showing up on the slide and will work its way out as I play.Is there anything I can do about it?.

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    You could try a thicker slide grease, such as Selmer slide grease.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If the grease doesn't work try the following-- I love my Getzens more than my mouthpiece graveyard, and have so flanged out the tuning slides: place mouthpiece in the slide and hit it with your hand; repeat on other slide end. This way you can save up your money for a PRANA that your conductor won't let you play on a piece you care about!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    By far your best bet is to hop on in to ye locale repaire shoppe. The service techie there will smile knowingly and take your horn in the back where he'll run a slightly overside sizeing ball down the male ends of the slide and very slightly expand it so that it moves smoothly but snugly.

There is another method that I was told about that I've used but I promised not to repeat it to anyone who isn't an engineer! :D (it requires heavy powertools and hydraulics).

Best go the repairshop routine.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    VB - did YOU really save up your money for a Prana that your conductor won't let you play on a piece you care about? Please elaborate....

Trumpeter62758 - if you can't find the Selmer (or Schilke) slide grease, go to the drug store and buy a jar of lanolin. That will allow you to still move your slide while providing a seal. Ideally, Toots gave you some good advice, if you can make it to a repair tech.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Trumpeter 62758: ask for "anhydrous" lanolin at your drug store. You can also complain to Getzen, and perhaps get a new slide and "retire" your old one. The oversize ball your "techie" forces into your horn affects the bore along a greater length than an old mouthpiece (with its morse taper) does.

Trompetvrow: No, I want a Porsche! Dave is a really nice guy, and deserves whatever fortune he makes. I like him, and want him to be rich; but as a free-lance professional player dealing with everything from 440 to 446 as a tuning pitch, and conductors who raise the left hand before the very first trumpet entrance, my horns have to be flexible as all-get-out. My sweet spot, my "Q factor" needs to be big and broad and sometimes requires more slide than looks "correct," and when we use those slides they start to leak. Therefore, my solution is to expand the slide, using an old mouthpiece as a mandrel, because if I keep going to the repair shop I'll never get my Porsche!

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey V - thanks for taking the time to answer. I was just confused by your post, but I get it now and I hear ya'! ;-)