Maintainence and general K Modified questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I have a few questions about maintaining my new-to-me Selmer 1968ish(I think) K Modified 24b. Loving the tone and valves!

Anyways, it has a first valve slide trigger (which I don't really care for) and I don't know what to do with it when I give the horn a bath or grease. Do I unscrew the screws to remove the slide?

Also, I guess this question is just an opinion, but what valve oil do you suggest for a vintage horn? I oiled the horn with some Zaja Pro, and they are feeling great!

Another, I wiped off the third valve slide because it was pretty stiff and slow, and in the process, I noticed it has both a water key, and a long bach-style third valve end slide. What's the purpose of the end slide if it has a water key? When I got around to greasing the slide (Bell's Slide grease plus some zaja pro, just what I've always used on my benge to get a very very fast third valve slide) it wasn't much better than before. Any suggestions?

I feel like the horn could just use a good clean from the shop but I just got it and am still loving playing it and don't want to give it up for a couple days just yet.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I used to own a Selmer K (unmodified) and it was a fine horn. The extra play on the third valve slide allows for a low concert Eb when needed.

3. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Ah that makes sense! Thanks, VB