maintaining chops while away from the horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Oct 31, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I have a huge cold sore on my upper lip and the doctor said I cannot play the trumpet for a week. Is there anything I can do to maintain my chops while I'm away from the horn? or at least make it easier for me to get back on the horn? I have an all state audition in 2 weeks...

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Pencil exercise? Practice whistling as well, it is more beneficial than you think.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Did your doctor prescribe anything for the cold sore to help is resolve faster?

If I absolutely couldn't play, I'd probably try some pencil exercises and breathing exercises. I'd also finger through your all-state music.

Best of luck,
    Mike

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you can't use your mpc, then free buzz, lip compressions, and the already mentioned pencil exercise. Get well soon.

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Thank you.

6. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Cold sores used to bother me when I was a young guy. But I recently started taking one 500 mg tab of Lysine (Walmart) every day and the cold sores are a thing of the past. So if this is a chronic problem, see if this helps you. If you can, ease back in when it feels better, but don't rush it as you may produce scar tissue.

7. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I was unable to play for a month or so in the summer due to spinal fusion. Chopsticks were recommended to me ( fancy pencil exercise). Worked