Major Breakthrough after Lesson with Pops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by afp, Jan 22, 2014.

1. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    This is definitely taking my playing to the next level!! About a week ago I came across one of Pops' e-books called "Tensionless Playing." Now I figured I had pretty much resolved the tension issue in my playing. I had decided that because after 2 hours of practice or rehearsal I could play a strong High G, and I was in tune above the staff. I knew I still needed to develop some more, but I thought I was pretty much there in terms of relaxed playing.

I had taken lessons from Pops when I lived in Texas 12 years ago and he got me going in the right direction. I was intrigued by the book's title and the description, so I ordered it. As soon as I read the book it clicked. We have all heard people talk about relaxing and using less tension, but it was always hard to figure out how to do that. After I read Pops book I finally got it. I understood which facial muscles to relax and which ones to use.

I also finally understood what he meant by "buzzing inside the aperture tunnel," and that was huge. I had always thought I had a decent sound, but when I applied what was in the book the resonance in my sound dramatically increased. Not by playing louder, but by buzzing inside the aperture tunnel. When I get all this right, I would say it takes 1/4 the effort and my sound is fuller and projects more. My wife was amazed, telling me I sounded like an entirely different player.

Well I had started down the path with the e-book, but I wanted to make sure I was on the right track so I e-mailed Pops and set up a Skpe lesson. He helped me work though all this (and more). For the last couple of years, my High G was relatively easy but my High A was relatively hard and not reliable. In the Skype lesson Pops had me belt out a HUGE High A--not some P to MP level screamer squeak, but a full F to FF sound that was full and strong--and it was easy to do.

I am still building this new approach into my playing. When I get it right, (at present that is 60-70% of the time, I have that effortless sound of a pro player. When I get it wrong, I go back to sounding like a college player--albeit a middle-aged college player. :-) The cool thing is when I "lose it," I can stop, readjust, and get it back. Eventually it will be a permanent part of my playing.

This tensionless playing and buzzing inside the aperture tunnel isn't for everyone. If you don't already have reasonable air support and have a somewhat reasonable tongue arch, you may well need the tension just to play. For me, the progression was: air support, tongue arch, and now tensionless playing and buzzing the aperture tunnel. I realize not everyone will follow that same path, but that is what has happened to me. I aslo don't think it nees to take 12 years to get to this point.

I am not sure any of this is new or radical, as pro players have been doing all this stuff for over a hundred years. What is new for me is Pops way of explaining it, which finally unlocked it for me. BTW, I am not a paid endorser of Pops. I have paid for every book and lesson I have received from him.

This book teaches you to relax facial tension and double your endurance.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Congratulations, Blaine!
    Jim

3. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Kind of what the book by John Lynch teaches as well "Altissimo Trumpet" I still use far too much pressure when I play. Old habits are not the easiest to break.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Buzzing is so over rated. Using more upper diagonal facial muscle will relax this tension even further, and it takes that nasty buzz away. You will be able to play your high Gs and As for four hours straight without any fatiguing if you try this method. Buzzing is so over rated.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My teachers never talked about fighting my face. I never heard of the smile technique until I read this on TM. This audio takes way too much time on talking about facial muscle. All that muscle should be used to do is creating a vibrating aperture, and to do this in the most efficient way is valuable. However, the most important technical skill is to learn to let breathing support most of the work required to play. The diaphragm provides a lot more muscle than anything the lip can generate.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The real secret is mouthpiece buzzing? Really? Buzzing is so over rated. Sorry, this audio clip misses the real "secret" regarding root efficiency of trumpet playing.

7. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    afp - I'm pleased that you have made the breakthough that you were looking for. Congratulations.

...what on earth is the aperture tunnel?

8. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Considering all three of your posts here, you simply do not know what you are talking about. Then again, the average IQ of MDs is less than the average IQ of USAF pilots, so I shouldn't be surprised that you can't comprehend what I was talking about. (This whole breakthrough has little to do with buzzing.) Regardless, I am completely bored with you and your virtual mouth. I am so thankful there is an ignore feature here........

9. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    I am pissed. I try to be helpful and explain a little about what has propelled me to the next level. I get some very ignorant posts from a guy with a chip on his shoulder (gmonday), and then I get a PM from someone telling me that High G usually refers the G above High C. That is the High G (and High A) I was referring to. I have always called the G above High C as High G. I have posted recordings here of me playing two octave scales to the G and A above High C as well as arpeggios to DHC.

So my run here on TM finished. I wasn't terribly hopefully when I signed up a couple months ago. This was my last hope for an Internet forum. I certainly do not need the advice or help of anyone here, so I gain little by being here. I was simply looking for some fellow enthusiasts with him I cold talk trumpet. While there are some good people here, there are just too many who are not and I just don't have the temperament or interest to put up with the bad ones.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, that's too bad. I think you have a lot to offer and write interesting posts.