Major Breakthrough after Lesson with Pops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by afp, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I think Mr VB has nailed it here, I have issues with my playing that I know about and am working with a new teacher (finally one who will talk technique not notes) but if I am playing say Clarke 3, the one based on arpeggios, I feel myself squeezing towards the last two or three excercises so I start them with a whooo (ie no tongue) sound and that certainly helps me to use air not squeeze to ge the top notes. Oh and I would not be telling Miss Aniston to keep her lips together.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    1. What does a military pilot do that is smart when the aircraft malfunctions?

2. What does a civilian pilot do that is smart when the aircraft malfunctions?

The answer to #1 is bail-out? That is why the military provides parachutes.

The answer to #2 is Pray his plane is still airworthy enough to land safely somewhere.

Still, the odds of survival are about equal.

POINT: Quit and you'll never know what awaits you.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's Magister VB.

(tee-hee!)

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have two words one is off, choose the first,

TEE HEE

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I caught this thread late, too bad.

The title really cracks me up. First of all, breakthroughs are proven after they are turned into a habit useful on stage - not after a phone call. I would expect a pilot to realize that everything is connected - even when they fly. Breakthroughs as a pilot also only come after extensive training, and they are only useful when committed to routine so that they are available when really needed. Repeatability is a term very seldom expressed here and it is a sure sign of the reason that many have problems!

If we change anything in our face or body, everything else about our playing changes too. That does not take an IQ of >150 to realize.

As far as members leaving the forum, that is their decision. If someone goes on the internet with the expectation that they are instantly recognized as "experts" without reproach, they missed something in their emotional development. What really defines an expert is the ability to listen and evaluate things below the surface. The realization that everything is life is a process is a key signal for me that someone can be trusted. Patch mentality as is common in the computer world simply does not give the results, regardless of who types it. If after not being able to get the ego stroked we decide to leave, so be it. If we learn from the experience, then just maybe we can graduate from "the criticized" to the "additional experienced". Those are the members that we need here.

I have to admit, AFP did have the right attitude for a trumpeter however. "Hey baby, look what I've got between my legs" truly applies to "hot" trumpeters, Harley riders and fighter pilots. In the case of the hot trumpet player, I want to be clear that we have a paid lead trumpet chair "between the legs"..............

6. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Rowuk, I think we just had a misunderstanding of terms. Anytime my lips vibrate, I consider that "buzzing". Apparently, however, if you use a different part of your lips, then it is not.
    It's just a basic matter of how we pronounce our attacks into the mouthpiece. I say "too". You say "phwoo". They say "tee". We all make glorious music. :D

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh... You did your homework well Dr.Mark. I have my eyes closed most of the time, both of them... so I am double blinded.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh... you evoke the old adage: The physician that treats himself has a fool for a patient.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now just to clarify, this assumption is what sparked angst and got people excited in this thread in the first place. Again, I go on record that the phwooo works well for me, and individual that is an N-of-1. I would never want it to be considered the established way of doing things. The buzz technique is the traditional way, and with good reason, it is basic and easiest to achieve. All I suggest is those reading this thread that are intrigued by the concept of phwooo, to give it a try, and maybe, just maybe, a reader of this thread will move away from tradition, and enter the state of phwooo. Kind o like the state of yo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR39tRbDcBk

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "Ahhh... You did your homework well Dr.Mark. I have my eyes closed most of the time, both of them... so I am double blinded.
    ----
    Then that makes it a double blind study!! Now were headed somewhere!
    Dr.Mark