Major Breakthrough after Lesson with Pops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by afp, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Let me ask you a question, Blaine. I've got a few of Pop's pamphlets. found them very illuminating, and I follow what you say about your experiences with his methods pretty well.

When I played with mouthpiece pressure, each note was clearly separated from it's neighbours by the different attack, tension and force required and that gave me a great sense of security and confidence knowing that I could play around with note shapes and dynamics a fair bit without risk of losing my grip on the note itself.

Now that I am trying to play without appreciable mouthpiece pressure, my lips are less tense, there's a thicker contact area between the lips (to form Pop's 'aperture tunnel'), but also I'm finding that the notes feel much, much closer together. The difference in effort between bottom of stave and top of stave is so ridiculously minute (slight lift of the tongue or whatever) that I'm finding some notes difficult to find at all. Did you encounter something like this when you first started with Pop's methods?

Oh dear. Too late :-(

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Interesting. When I was in school, the G and A just above the staff were called "high G and high A" because there is a low G and A below the staff, and a middle G and A in the staff. But I'm used to people asserting things that are completely foreign to me so I don't worry too much about it. :-)

As far as other posters, eh, people online will say weird stuff all the time. I don't worry too much about it. But you have to do what is right for you.

Tom

3. trackday

trackday Pianissimo User

Apr 8, 2013
    Hey afp, don't go. I liked your post, and just purchased the online pamphlet from Pops. Oddly, when I was practicing yesterday, I was doing pretty much what Pops was recommending, a bunch of '!!!!!!!' went off in my head, as in 'this sounds GOOD, AND takes less effort'. This pamphlet confirmed what I did, and will help pursue that path of development. I'm not very advanced, but I do learn a lot from being here. Please reconsider!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am trying to be professional about this. Let's be careful about general-isms here comparing any professional group to another. I know for a fact air force pilots have a high degree of professionalism. Please try do demonstrate this in your future posts. I too do hope you stay, as we learn much more by diversity of opinions.

Please try to understand that my opinion comes from the prospective from understanding muscle physiology, which is one of the honors my medical school bestows upon me to teach their first year medical students as a Professor of Medicine. So I do express opinion based on professional perspective that I believe is a plus for an excellent forum that TM that offers a wide verity of individuals that post comments from a vast spectrum of professional talent.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Afp, it is not helpful at all. He is selling snake oil. Get un-pissed and see the truth here. I am truly not pissed at you, but rather concerned about what this could be doing to your reputation here on TM.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is because Pops is using the wrong muscle group to open up the embouchure. Sure the lower muscle groups work at doing this but with less efficiency as well as ability to maintain fine control. Using the upper diagonal muscle group in the upper face does so much more at opening up a relaxed muscle group without loss of control. I do use the relaxed muscle technique that Pops preaches when I want to get a darker sound. It works great for this technical skill, but I only value that technique for that effect only.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I'm not using Pops' systems, Gary. I'm not consciously using anyone's system. Doesn't mean I'm not interested in them though.

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    afp sez:
    "Then again, the average IQ of MDs is less than the average IQ of USAF pilots, so I shouldn't be surprised that you can't comprehend what I was talking about."
    ---------------
    Really? I've never put much faith in IQ's. Do you really think that IQ's will be measured the same way and the same variables used in 100 years? Probably not, since we're still trying to crack the nut called "What is intelligence" However, I think it's safe to say:
    1. You found a breakthrough that helps your playing and you are sharing. That's great in any language and thank you!!
    2. Buzzing works for some people so it's safe to say it works. Mendez started out buzzing a mouthpiece.
    3. There are schools of thought that do not advocate buzzing and those individuals do quite well at playing.
    So what am I saying? Don't put a lot of faith in IQ's and different strokes for different folks.
    ---
    Dr.Mark

9. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Pops has quite a reputation as a teacher. A ton of people have found his advice to be helpful.

bumblebee likes this.
  10. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans

You may have to use pictures for us non medical types. Upper diagonal muscle group? *shrugs*