Major Breakthrough after Lesson with Pops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by afp, Jan 22, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I posted this before on another thread. This video demonstrates the upper diagonal (dilator) muscle group very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWYAw5gsdY

Enjoy

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    OK, I'm certifiably wacko and getting treatment after years of muscling through life. I'm working on my self-worth. There was a book called "I'm OK, You're OK." With me it's "I'm not OK, You're OK." My Vulgano Brother persona is healthier than I am.

Freud's Id, Ego and Super-Ego became Eric Berne's Child, Adult, and Parent. Things go smoothly when my Child and your Child are playing, or my Adult and your Adult are exchanging information, and the same with the Parent. As a pedagog my Parent can teach, or as moderator punish as needed.

It is truly amazing the way we get along: different countries, different styles, different levels of ability. We are a pretty tightly-knit community in spite of it all.

Most of the time.

3. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    I feel like your signature is perfect for this situation.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, I can sit this out or make as many enemies as I can. :think: So, why not. . .

First, I was glad to read the first post. I thought it was interesting and perhaps helpful down the line for me, personally. OP, thanks for posting it.

Secondly, making disparaging remarks about physicians vs AF pilots is the kind of arrogant, mine's bigger than yours so my opinion is more valid than yours too, crap that is not uncharacteristic of some military pilots. Too bad you have to fuel the stereotype. That furthers the discussion not one whit. And making a YAGE hardly gives credence to your confidence in the new techniques or your bad-ass ego, which seems to have been bruised simply by getting some blow-back.

Regarding the alleged misinformation from Pops, I had a friend who used to quote his dad often with, "Nothing succeeds like success". For someone like me, who is not very moved by the specifically physiological minutiae of brass playing, I'm more focused on whether or not something worked in evaluating its validity. Buzzing was never really helpful for me, so I agree with the comments above. But not on scientific grounds, but because, well, it just didn't work well for me. If Pops' suggestion regarding a certain kind of buzzing allowed the OP to enhance his playing, well, I gotta just say, "Nothing succeeds like success".

How'd I do? :-P

(*YAGE: yet another grand exit.)

Comeback, bumblebee and gmonady like this.
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :thumbsup:

6. WannaScream

WannaScream Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2013
    How have there been so many great trumpet players who didn't know a thing about the diagonal upper dilator muscles??
    It's outcomes that matter- if Blaine experienced a breakthrough, great for him, and we're here to share. No embouchure system works for everybody. It's too bad the trumpet player's reputation for ego is being eclipsed by that of doctors and pilots here.

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Gmonday pulled a real "Emily Latella" (Guilda Radner SNL) and totally missed the point and overlayed his own trip. Don't let him get you down. I have studied Pop's material and gained quite a bit from it. FWIW Your post really gave me a lightbulb moment regarding tone production.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    It's not just here.

I've worked with both professions, and when it comes to humility both types seem to be deficient.

But then again, consider the profession. Whether right or wrong, they must be supremely confident in themselves
    because they routinely need to make life and death decisions with limited "data" in a minimal amount of time.

The ability to assess quickly and react "stat" reinforces their self image of infallibility and superiority.

Are they? Yes and no. Yes, in their profession. Unfortunately, I've seen them way overrate their abilities
    in other areas and appoint themselves the expert of any team they happen to be a part of regardless of
    whether it is in their area of expertise.

I think everyone does this to some extent. Most of the people that do this, that being portray themselves as
    experts in whatever the issue is at hand, do it because of a lack of self confidence and wanting to feel important.
    The super-egos do it for the opposite reason - they actually ARE very important and feel that gives them the
    right, power, knowledge, etc. to be the expert and unelected leader of whatever group they enter.

Unfortunately, they often are in positions of power where no one can make them see that they are not,
    in fact, the expert in the room and they need to accept that.

- my usual half-baked view of the world,

Greg

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    BTW There was NO reference to mouthpiece buzzing in the original post. The aperture tunnel is where the air passes through you lips.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria