Major Breakthrough after Lesson with Pops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by afp, Jan 22, 2014.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    eh, what the heck.....

so i have been thinking a lot lately about the value in TM.
    There is great value in TM, EXCEPT, that from a historical search perspective, it is very hard sometimes to find info.
    Part of it is because the search function is terrible, yes.

But part of it is because a significant amount of threads go from rigorous, intelligent debate to a pages and pages of jokes, etc that are completely off topic.
    There also seems to be a handful of posters (who by the way are very helpful in many ways) who also like to hijack threads and go on and on about nonsense and telling jokes, etc.
    When i see a thread that is 10 pages long, i am inclined not to read it. It might be because i don't have enough time or attention span, but also might be that i don't want to wade through pages of dopey jokes that have nothing to do with the topic.
    I was informed during one of my posts that there is a 'lounge' for such topics and posts.
    I think the body of knowledge here would be best served if everyone had a bit of respect for the topic at hand, added constructively (that doesn't necessarily mean positively, but CONSTRUCTIVELY) to the threads, and kept the 'peanut gallery" posts to a minimum outside of the lounge.

The other thing I have found interesting, is how many times people reply to a topic in "Emily Litella" fashion. The don't read the post thoroughly, or, have nothing to contribute so they post whatever they like, assuming this is to get their post count up????

Doesn't mean we can't have fun here, I just think this it serves all the members better if folks post relevant info and 'think before they post"

IMHO

2. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Come on who really wrote this Pops?m

3. trackday

trackday Pianissimo User

Apr 8, 2013
    Yes.

Accountant: "Maybe you aren't charging enough."

Me: "........(slowly nodding head)...."

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ed, read the first OP carefully. "buzzing inside the aperture tunnel,". For those that buzz, this may be a good thing. I, and a few others here choose other approaches. Let's all be open minded on these topics and try not to let bias blind us from finding our own truth. What was great about this thread was that there was a diversity of perspectives. What went wrong was that there was a tail spin of individuals taking sides. We are ALL here on one side, and that is being on the side of Trumpet Masters. There are many paths that can be taken to get us there.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I think you're getting hung up on a certain word.

Think of it as "vibrating of the flesh inside the aperture tunnel". I'm sort of working on this myself as this softer flesh from more inside my mouth seems to vibrate easier with less work on my part, though I don't really think of it as an "aperture tunnel".

Tom

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks Tom, but I got it. The concept does make sense to me. Using either lower or upper dilator muscles will place this tissue in the aperture tunnel. Its just that there are more series of diagonal dilator muscles that attach to the zygomatic arch giving more variance of force to the orbicularis, opening up this muscle from above, again placing a similar vibratory mass of mucous membrane tissue (not flesh, that is exterior tissue) into an equally wide aperture tunnel. Hence more efficiency. What really matters is that what you are doing places a fine mucous membrane into place. I just chose to do this with a more efficient group of muscles that don't require I buzz, therefore saving energy and increasing endurance. Not getting hung up on any certain word, but rather trying to demonstrate that there is more than one way to achieve this action.

7. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Ah, you're using that word in a specific way. What do you mean when you say "buzz"?

Tom

8. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I looked at a picture of "muscles of the face" and tried to do some lip slurs while feeling this area. I feel tension in those muscles I think you're talking about so perhaps I already do this.

Tom

9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I was afraid to ask, then I put on my glasses and read the fine print (that's how they get me with introductory offers too!! :lol:)

I think that when things devolve to name-calling over the internet, the opportunity for constructive debate has likely sailed............

I too liked afp's post and I was interested in Gary's counter view. Listening to differing views and making an informed decision as to which one suits me is how I usually learn best.

I'm sorry that afp got miffed and I hope that he returns because he seems an interesting fellow with a lot to add to TM..............

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    The search function also frustrates me. I usually just do a google or bing search for what I am looking for, and add "site:www.trumpetmaster.com" after the search topic which seems to work better (for me)....

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack with an off-topic reply........:lol: