Major Breakthrough after Lesson with Pops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by afp, Jan 22, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tom, better that I show you when stop by in March. Totally looking forward to this my friend.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I will once again say, I too hope he continues to post his most excellent views as well. Without such views our spectrum of how we at TM choose to Master the Trumpet, will not be complete.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I think we're going to have lots of fun :-)

Tom

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :thumbsup:

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm interested Gman, are you saying that you don't buzz when you are playing or that you are not concious of "The Buzz" happening. I am also not a fan of buzzing as practice because I don't think my lips work the same way without the mouthpiece there.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously Andy, if you use the upper diagonal dilator muscles (a smile with corners up not back) and then generate air moving through your mouth, a pwhooo sound develops. Then put the mouthpiece to your lips and keep the airflow going. You sound a note without buzzing. You will also note the vibration you feel is behind the lip more than you get with a buzz as you are "trapping" less orbicularis muscle into the mouthpiece cup. I find this gives me more versatility in muscle control which is why I can play so much and embellish my notes. This likely also explains why I can use cups from a Bach 10 1/2 C to a 3C Flip Oakes without any significant effect on my sound, and also likely why the Asymmetric mouthpiece just does not work for me (sorry Kingtrumpet).

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Isn't this rather a cleaner, more focussed buzz, rather than a rich 'white noise' buzz? More mosquito, less bumblebee? (sorry Bumblebee)

8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Tine Thing Helseth can't buzz without a mouthpiece. Doesn't affect her very much. :cool:

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You cannot pronounce buzz with a "pwhooo". Buzzing is SO overrated.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I'm sorry, but I find responses like this flippant and uninformative. Nobody as far as I know pronounces the word 'buzz' to produce a tone. But they do use it to discribe an oscillation of the lip aperture as an airstream passes through it. If you are prepared to belittle what most of us understand to be the basic mechanism for producing a note, then you must be prepared to give a more convincing justification, otherwise you are simply derailing reasonable discussion.

End of rant.