Major Breakthrough after Lesson with Pops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by afp, Jan 22, 2014.

1. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Watching this thread with interest. Shooter I think that you're pointing to the wide difference between what works, very well in many cases, for different players. For me getting away from the idea of buzzing and re-making my embouchure along the lines of the videos from Greg Spence, Charlie Porter and the instructions in Maggio's book has paid off in spades - improvement in tone, control, endurance and range. There are equally a lot of advocates of buzzing who are great players. If buzzing is right for you that's cool.

This thread unfortunately went off track with some overly assertive/passionate/sensitive advocacy by some posters. It's a bit of a shame because discussion between TM members who champion differing views is something that makes TM worthwhile.

2. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    What creates the sound for a non-buzzer?

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's like a previous poster said. The sound of the phwooo is created by more posterior, thinner tissue than the force that creates a buzz. These vibrating sets of tissue is what is required to generate the sound. If you cannot generate a sound with the phwooo, than you have yet to achieve the vibrating of the tissue needed. This is OK, as you are new at it and it will take some time to develop. But it will come in short time.

Again, look at Wilmer Wise's video. This is the classical and well demonstrated buzz, and no one can do it better than our own Trumpet Master, Mr. Wise. Apparently Mendez did it the best, but he is no longer with us, and yes, he worked hours and hours a day to have the endurance he had. So the comparison made by Dr.Mark between Mr Mendez and the phwooo is not a fair one. I only practice 1-2 hours a day and have an amazing amount of endurance, but I admit, not nearly the endurance as Mr. Mendez of that I am sure.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh.... Seth, you have posted something closer to the truth than I have been able to do with this post. Thanks much as I noted before for you continued valued input.

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Fair question and I don't pretend to fully understand the whole system that our bodies and horn make up.
    My simplistic understating is that the lip(s) vibrate(s), but the aperture doesn't necessarily open and close like it does when you buzz. Maybe more like when you make a noise by blowing over a piece of paper held taught in front of the mouth.

I know that I can push air through my aperture without noise, apply a mouthpiece, still no noise, then plug in a leadpipe or a horn and it makes noise. That's what convinced me that buzzing is not the way that trumpet noises are made.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What I noticed from the audio clips on Pop's site was that none of the orchestral excerpts would make it into the final round in a Major or Regional Orchestra and might have difficulty in a Community Orchestra. The sound was not appropriate (not as broad or rich enough, which I attributed to the recording quality, so I factored that out) there was no sense of nuance, but that can be taught. What was universal were sloppy articulations, chipped notes and bad intonation. The big band scream parts were better, but I noticed that everything was played a bit slow.

Pop's teaching may have helped afp, but I am far from believing that Pops has the universal approach to the mysterious, occluded and esoteric art of playing trumpet.

7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I remember Blaine. Talented dude, but he doesn't hang for the friendly banter.

I play next to a Pops student every week and I believe that Vulgano hits it on the head. This approach is great for range and endurance but after repeated attempts at making this approach a universal one, I couldn't make it work for say, delicate brass quintet playing or mid range jazz where I needed to vary up my sound and approach to music. After reading Roger Ingram's book, it also became more clear to me that this kind of extreme chop relaxation might be best suited for upper register speciality work. I enjoy experimenting with it, though. As Don Jacoby says, don't exaggerate anything!

Ed

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What if someone buzzes into a trumpet in a forest and there are no TMers there to comment?

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    All the honey bees try to buz higher

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    "Buzz"? "Higher"?

[​IMG]