Major breakthrough in trumpet playing!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Jun 5, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    So I am self taught, about 3 years now and recently after watching that austrailian guys videos.(forget his name and internet slow... the mystery to mastery guy.)

I stop "tutt" ing out the air i, just blow. let my lips form the natural buzz, or vibration, i give up on the lip buzz thing with a mouthpiece, it might be good for seasoned pros, but i could never do it good enough.

With the lead pipe blowing and further on, one can concentrate on just pushing air and not worrying about the lips.

Side note also maybe it's just my embouchere has just recently developed and im able to play better... either way all is good.

2. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
  3. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    I think the reason why you cant do the mouthpiece buzz is because for some reason, it takes a considerably lot more air and buzzing to actually get the mouthpiece to make a buzzing noise. I couldn't do it for a while, and if you work at it, you can eventually do a scale on the mouthpiece (depending on the mouthpiece, i have a 3C). I do that sometimes before I warm up. it wakes up your chops.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Thats great, I have had a couple of lessons with Greg, which gave me a new insight to playing, I used to do a lot of free and mouthpiece buzzing on the 100km drive to band rehersal, since my lessons I have stopped this and concentrated on getting the best and most resonant tone from the instrument possible and being as relaxed as possible in chops and body.

Leadpipe playing may be helpfull, but it is what comes out the bell that matters, it is what the audience hears.

The only time I have been called to buzz the mouthpiece was in a piece by a clown who called himself P.D.Q. Bach, I forget the title.

Check Rowuk's Circle of Breath, it is the good oil on breathing.

Keep up the good work.

Regards, Stuart.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    How to Form a Trumpet Embouchure - Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porter - YouTube

The reason it takes more air to make just the mouthpiece buzz is the lack or resistance. Resistance creates the buzz that we know and love. There is a considerable amount of opposition to mouthpiece because of how different the blow will be thus developing bad habits. I, for one, am not one of those people. When you buzz, I suggest using a tuner so you know if you are playing in the center, which allows the horn to resonate much better.

Let's address another issue here, one not pertaining to the question at hand

As a brass player we have dozens and dozens of things to worry about, even on something as simple as a Remington, even just a note start; proper breath support, supple lips, relax, clear articulation, syllable, tongue position and others just for a single note start! All of these things must ALWAYS be considering when playing. I understand you are an amateur, and for self-taught you seem to be making strides which is impressive. Also I see here that you are not only willing but hungry to learn as a player, now is the time for you to take lessons. There is more to trumpet than just blowing and going

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is NEVER lack of resistance that makes the buzz on the mouthpiece tough. It is lack of resonance (from the horn) and too much pressure (on the upper lip).

I use buzzing to get started wih all of my students. It is a bit of ear training too. I play a note and they match it. This goes back and forth for about 5 minutes and that is enough.

The relaxed blow is a big part of my teaching, but so is articulation. They go hand in hand.

I guess if you think that you are playing better, that is motivation to play more. I am not sure that an unbalanced routine has enduring benefits.........

Good luck.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HAHAHAHA!!! Apparently someone forgot to tell Raul Midon he needs a mpc. to do what he does at 3:27!!! ROFLROFLROFLROFL He free buzzes better than some players play!!! He got an ovation after his "trumpet" solo!!

Raul Midon Sunshine - YouTube

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Lack of resonance does make buzzing harder, which is why some buzz in the leadpipe or use tubing at the end of their mouthpiece. Mud was talking about how buzzing used more air though.

There are numerous ways to create a buzz, each way though you have to introduce some form of resistance. With brass players, the way we form our lips when we push air out is the resistance so a mouthpiece is not required.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Buzz with your lips then place them against the mpc. (gently) and see what happens. Then insert the mpc. into the trumpet and see what happens. This was old school when I learned and many taught that way. Maybe I'm so "old school" I'm back around to "new school". Those that don't believe in lip buzzing (there are many, mostly symphonic in my experience) use the mpc. for resistance. I've been chewed out for spreading such "rubbish and nonsense" by these folks. They believe it's the blow only then the horn. One guy even went so far as to tell me his lips don't buzz at all when he plays! I firmly believe that I am in control of what happens when I play and and that starts with my mind, lungs, then lips. As far as your quote, "Lack of resonance does make buzzing harder". I hope you meant resistance but even then the video proves one can buzz musically without mpc. or horn. If you can't do it, it's because you've never practiced it.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Lack of resonance makes it hard not because the buzz itself is difficult, but because of hearing pitch. Without resonance it may be harder for some players to know what pitch and know if they are in pitch center. Therefore bad habits may be formed, as with any exercise.

Now to lack of resistance, I guess you didn't read the entire post, the lips themselves ALSO create resistance; a horn is not needed, nor a mouthpiece. However, adding the resistance from a mouthpiece and or horn makes it easy for some to buzz.