Major breakthrough in trumpet playing!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Jun 5, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Did you watch the video?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I've seen it before, I'm a fan of Raul Midon

3. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    "Check Rowuk's Circle of Breath, it is the good oil on breathing."

The last time i heard the phrase "the good oil" was by John Greenway who taught folk music as an anthropology class - "this is the good oil".

4. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpet playing is NOT an amplified buzz. The buzz when playing is the standing wave in the horn controlling our lips. That is the resonance that I am talking about. Embouchure strength does a balancing act with our breathing and that resonance to enable us to play the partial series. With the right integration, our embouchures are relieved of a lot of work. If you need resistance, other things are missing.
    Free buzzing is a different discipline entirely as there is no resonance from the horn to help control the lips. If we have a six pack on our face but our breathing sucks or we try to force the horn, we still sound like a beginner.

Resonance is the key.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Exactly! That is my point. It is totally different, which is why some may find it difficult at first but it can be done. I view it as just another piece of the puzzle in learning to master the instrument. And, if we have a six pack face and our breathing is correct and we've learned to not force the horn... :-)

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    In all my posts mentioning the B.E.R.P., I have never posted the link to the site. So here goes,

Musical Enterprises Berps & Bags

The inventor of the B.E.R.P., Mario Guarneri, doesn't seem to be lacking in the credential department regarding the trumpet (although he does say the mpc and instrument amplify the buzzing lips :-o). He studied with James Stamp and seems to be doing quite well for himself. Stamp advocated mouthpiece buzzing (so did Bud Herseth). Mario just took it to another level and developed the B.E.R.P.. The OP might want to take a look at this site as there is plenty of excellent info. Who knows, maybe the valve oil is good too!

I had to add this from the endorsements page. It's straight cut & paste: "The BERP solves the problem of relating buzzing the mouthpiece to the instrument." --Marvin Stamm, trumpet jazz artist and clinician

I like Marvin!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    This is really really good !!!!

9. monkeymark

monkeymark New Friend

May 11, 2012
    So what are people opinions on the B.E.R.P.s for beginners?

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My opinion is NO!